White wines at Vinexpo Bordeaux 2017
Central Loire Sauvignon Blanc “ripe for rediscovery”
With Spain as Vinexpo’s country of honour this year, wines from Albariño, the country’s trendiest grape of the moment, will no doubt be drawing much attention at this month’s fair.
However, in countries like the UK, Sauvignon Blanc is still one of the most popular grape varieties and according to wine writer Jamie Goode (aka The Wine Anorak), deserves re-exploring as a fine and noble variety capable of producing more than simple varietal wines.
“Loire Sauvignon Blanc is one of the quintessential fine wines of the world”
Reporting on the London Wine Fair’s recent Central Loire wines masterclass, where Goode was speaker, Rupert Millar of The Drinks Business highlighted the wines of the Central Loire as being “ripe for rediscovery and exploration”.
In case we might have been put off by commoditised versions of Sauvignon Blanc, Millar reminds us that “Loire Sauvignon Blanc is one of the quintessential fine wines of the world”, highlighting the diversity and finesse that appellations like Sancerre, Quincy, Reuilly and Menetou-Salon, are capable of showing.
Central Loire vineyards will be well represented at Vinexpo, and with their great soils, dynamic winemaking scene and winemakers’ increasing desire to experiment, they are not about to let us forget what great wines Sauvignon Blanc can make.
Rediscover Loire Sauvignon Blanc at Vinexpo:
- BOUCHIE CHATELLIER — @ Arnaud BOUCHIE — DE297–5 — Pouilly Fumé
- CAVE DES VINS DE SANCERRE — @ Christophe MANGEART — E292–4 — Sancerre
- CHÂTEAU DE SANCERRE — @ Marc SORREL-DEJERINE — DE294–2 — Sancerre
- COMTE HENRI D’ASSAY — @ Henry d’ASSAY — E-292–3 — Pouilly Fumé
- DOMAINE BONNARD — @ Claire BONNARD — E-292–2 — Sancerre
- DOMAINE CHATELAIN — @ Vincent CHATELAIN — DE294–3 — Pouilly-Fumé, Sancerre
- DOMAINE ROGER ET DIDIER RAIMBAULT — @ Didier RAIMBAULT — DE297–1 — Sancerre
- HUBERT BROCHARD — @ Caroline BROCHARD — DE297–3 — Sancerre, Pouilly Fumé
- HUTEAU BOULANGER — @ François BOULANGER — DE297–2 — Coteaux-du-giennois, Pouilly Fumé, Menetou Salon, Sancerre
- MOULIN TOUCHAIS — @ Frédérik WILBRENNINCK — DE294–4 — Sancerre
- RAYMOND MORIN — @ Claude LE CORRE — DE294–3 — Sauvignon blanc
- MOREUX PATRICE — @ Arnaud MOREUX — DE297–7 — Pouily-Fumé, Sancerre
- REDDE MICHEL ET FILS — @ Sébastien REDDE — DE297–6 — Pouilly Fumé, Sancerre
- VILLEBOIS — @ Miguela DE VILLEBOIS — DE294–1 — Touraine, Menetou Salon, Sancerre, Pouilly Fumé