London Brief #11 — SuperAwesome IPO!
A startup that helps brands such as LEGO, Mattel, eOne (Peppa Pig owners) advertise to children is considering a £200m IPO on London Stock Exchange. Read more in today’s issue.
Lubomira Rochet, Chief Digital Officer at L’Oréal and Henry Lane Fox, CEO of Founders Factory, have selected five startups for their accelerator programme: InsitU, Preemadonna, Tailify, Veleza and Cosmose.
In the news
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin! Apparently sauerkraut, beer and sausages were not enough to lure investors and startups out of London.
At least we can change the addresses in London. Apparently, the Silicon Roundabout is not in fashion anymore. New companies tend to establish themselves more to the north (City Road) and in the West End.
Some startups are on the move because they have to. PactCoffee has left their famous cycle-in South London offices after an unsuccessful crowdfunding campaign.
For those who want to move to the city that claims to be the second best for startups after London, Tech Mahindra’s InnovateMK incubator has just opened in Milton Keynes.
Business as usual
- Gilo, a startup engineering flying machines, received $30m for a 40-percent stake in the company. The investor is Kuang-Chi Group, a Chinese tech investor who plans to invest $300m within the next three years.
- Bought By Many, a social platform to choose and buy insurance, has secured £7.5m Series A led by Octopus Ventures.
- Habito, a mortgage broker, has closed £5.5m Series A led by Ribbit Capital.
- My1stYears, a baby gifts e-commerce, has raised £5m round led by Beringea. Funding will help the company grow in the U.S. market.
- Debut, a recruitment platform targeted to students, has raised £1.7m seed funding led by LocalGlobe.
- Click Mechanic, an online marketplace for car mechanics, has closed a £1m funding round led by VC Forward Partners.
- Juro, a LegalTech startup, has closed $750,000 seed funding from group of investors including Seedcamp, Point Nine Capital, Paul Forster (Indeed.com) and Michael Pennington (Gumtree)
Number of the day
300: (non-rider) jobs available in Deliveroo’s new HQ
London Brief is a weekly selection of essential information about startups, technology and the business scene in London. Got news? Give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On behalf of the London Brief Team