Cataract Surgery Basics
Cataracts occur when the usually clear lens of the eye becomes hazy or dull, blocks the passage of light that reaches the retina, leading to vision problems.
Who Is At Risk For Cataract?
· Older People
· People with a family history of cataracts
· People with certain diseases (for example, diabetes)
· Smoke or alcohol addicts
· People with high blood pressure
· Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet sunlight
· Long-term use of steroid medication
· Previous eye injury or eye surgery
If you have any of these risk factors, you should consult an eye doctor in Long Beach.
Signs and Symptoms of a Cataract:
· A noticeable cloudiness in the pupil
· Cloudy or blurry vision
· Poor vision in sunlight
· Glare. Lamps, sunlight or headlights may appear too bright. A halo may appear around lights
· Fuzzy, foggy or filmy vision
· Frequent changes in eye prescriptions
· Impairment of color vision
· Double vision (diplopia) or multiple images in one eye
These warning signs and symptoms also can be a sign of other vision problems. If you have any of these signs, check with your eye doctor in Long Beach.
Diagnosis of Cataract
Cataract is diagnosed through a complete eye check-up that includes visual acuity test, dilated eye exam, and tonometry. The signs of early eye problems may be improved with anti-glare sunglasses, new eyeglasses, brighter lighting, or magnifying lenses. Are these measures do not help; cataract surgery in Long Beach is the only effective option. The aims of modern cataract surgery include:
· Vision restoration to meet the patient’s aesthetic needs
· Improvement in quality of life
· Success of the desired refractive outcome
· Ensuring 100% satisfaction and safety
But, you must be wondering: how to choose the best cataract surgeon in Long Beach?
Choosing an eye surgery Long Beach-based doctor is a decision that should be taken cautiously. When inquiring about the services a cataract surgeon provides, ask what are the risks and side effects associated with this treatment? What are the benefits of cataract surgery and how successful is it? Are other treatment options available? Ask your eye doctor for printed material about your eye condition or should I make any lifestyle changes?
Finally, a major factor you should consider when choosing a cataract surgeon in Long Beach is the recommendation of your friends, family members or relatives. Word-of-mouth recommendations often are one of the best ways to find a reliable, qualified, and skilled eye care professional and avoid nasty surprises when you go to have cataract surgery.