Tabor Canyon of Loreto, Baja California Sur, Mexico
The Tabor Canyon is an oasis located in the core of the Sierra La Giganta, which makes a great hiking connection to the natural environment of the Loreto region. with its incredible landscapes, flora, and fauna. Tabor awakens all your senses, from the first moment you arrive and on each hiking step, and this canyon offers fascinating natural settings to enjoy with your family and friends.
A great biodiversity of flora and fauna is found at Tabor Canyon; its scenic beauty will allow you to experience the best sunrises and sunsets, which will become an unforgettable memory of your visit to Loreto. During the rainy season of September, you can enjoy the several small creek ponds that are filled with vibrant shades of green, transparent running water.
Local folklore tells us that the old Indians who lived in this region performed rites of tribute to the Sierra La Giganta. During these rites, they would have hallucinations in which the big sierra would transform into a giant creature, giving rise to the name "El Gigante de Tabor" (Tabor Giant).
Hiking the “Tabor” canyon involves a certain degree of effort; the journey has diverse challenges that can put to the test the abilities of each person, so prior to the tour you should take into account the security measures and appropriate gear for this kind of hike.
Transpeninsular Highway #1, km 26, to the south is the town of Loreto, Baja California Sur, Mexico; the entrance is next to the electric power plant (CFE), on the opposite side of the exit to Puerto Escondido, take the dirt road that heads to the Sierra.
Our recommendations for your visit to Tabor Canyon
- Take on account the security measures and appropriate gear for this kind of hike.
- Hire a local tourist guide who knows the site, depending of your experience, going on your own can become troublesome.
- Respect the site and its natural resources. Live no trace of your hike, avoid pollution of this beautiful place.
- Report to the authorities any type of damage that you get to know on your visit.
- Take care of doing a warm-up preparation, before going through the canyon.
- Download the mobile application “wikiloc”, HERE, with this app you will find the route that we previously made for you; create your account; look for the route as “Tabor Canyon, Loreto, BCS.”; once on the screen of your smart phone you are ready to go. In Google Earth you can also visualize the route in Orange color.
Gear & Backpacking list for the hike:
Anti-slip waterproof shoes, rope, drinking water, energetic bars, a medical first aid kit, a camera, a smartphone with offline GPS capabilities, comfortable clothes, a lunch meal, mosquito repellent, swimwear.
Video of the hiking with a local tour guide
Wikiloc — Google Maps Tour Trail:
Originally published at Loreto.com.