Iterative design and development phases (9 months in GIFs)
Below, we summarize the last 9 months on the Lumilo project, letting GIFs do most of the talking. The work so far is divided into broad stages: the “Generative/exploratory stage” of research, the “Formative stage” (which includes various technical groundwork on the project), and the upcoming “Evaluation stage”.
Generative / exploratory stage
- Analyses of log data and classroom observations from ‘business as usual’ in ITS classrooms — What is? What should be?
- Interviews with teachers to better understand their challenges in ITS classrooms — What is?
- Paper-based, generative design exercises and interviews with teachers, to discuss possible solutions to some of these challenges — What could be? What should/shouldn’t be?
Formative design work and technical groundwork
- Architectural extensions: enabling CTAT/TutorShop to support authoring of custom analytics and learning analytics tools (for teachers and/or students) — now supporting the Lumilo, Luna, and Collaborative Dashboard projects
- Creating a public detector library, with initial versions of training materials, for CTAT tutors
- Narrower affinity diagramming and interpretation sessions — Role prototyping: What should/shouldn’t be?
- Storyboarding sessions — Role prototyping: What should/shouldn’t be?
- Iterative, participatory design: Lo-fi experience prototyping [time-freeze] — Role prototyping and information design: What should/shouldn’t be?
- Iterative, participatory design: Mid-fi experience prototyping [time-freeze] — Role prototyping, information design, and experience design: What should/shouldn’t be?
- Iterative, participatory design: Mid-fi experience prototyping [Wizard of Oz-ing analytics in a simulated lab session, using the TutorShop replay system] — Role prototyping, information design, and experience design: What should/shouldn’t be?
- Initial analytics development, testing and refining CTAT/TutorShop architectural extensions, and tablet-based interface development (tablet interface is currently used for technical tests, but will be developed into a standalone interface this summer)
Currently in progress:
- Synthesis of data from prototyping sessions thus far
- Cognitive task analyses based on teacher think-aloud data
- Lumilo redesign, informed by both of the above
- Creating an efficient/sustainable TutorShop-HoloLens link (i.e., push mechanism rather than pull)
- Developing the first fully-functional head-up display prototype
- Analytics development and/or refinement, based on redesign
Formative stage (continued)
- Iterative, participatory design: Mid-hi fi experience prototyping and think-aloud [temporal] — Experience design, alert policies, temporal information design (e.g., persistence of historical/’cold’ information), design of particular analytics
- Lo-mid fi context evaluation studies (more tightly controlled in-lab experiments, investigating teachers’ in-the-moment decision-making)
- Synthesis of data from evaluation studies and design refinements
- Classroom evaluation studies