Gems from Juzz ‘Amma: “The Essence Of Slavery…”
~ Gems from Juzz ‘Amma ~
Day 21 / Gem 21
Surah Bayyinah, ayah 5: “The Essence Of Slavery…”
وَمَا أُمِرُوا إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ حُنَفَاءَ وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ
وَذَٰلِكَ دِينُ الْقَيِّمَةِ
“And they were not commanded except to worship Allah , [being] sincere to Him in religion, inclining to truth, and to establish prayer and to give zakah. And that is the correct religion.”
The whole religion is summarised for us in one ayah.
Linguistically, what does ‘Ibadah mean?
- Worship in the english language is an act of rituals performed by people. I.e. Prostration, kneeling etc.
- The word ‘abada (ya’bud) — ‘abd = Slave. The opposite/antonym of ‘abd (slave) in arabic is a Rabb (Master).
The antonym for ‘aabid (worshipper) in arabic is Illah (god). Both are applied when when Allah is implying in a nominal form.
What is Slavery, and how is it different to Worship?
- The Slave is full-time in his slavery, whereas a worshiper is worshiping for a specific time.
- Servant comes from service, someone who works in a specific field (i.e. Accountant) for a certain amount of time for a payment. So to use the word servant instead of slave of Allah is incorrect. A slave would have to do any job his master told him to do without question.
- Slavery is forced upon you throughout human history — whether you like it or not. In this slavery — Allah is the Master, He is Fair and Just and unlike the creation. He is forbearing, and we praise him and actually recognize His greatness, and we walk into this slavery willingly ourselves whereas usually slaves are not willing to be enslaved. The primary drive of this slavery is that the Master is loved, and not hated. We love Allah, and Everything we love is for His sake; including our lives, wealth and friends.
Ibn Taymiyyah said your Slavery to Allah consists of 5 factors:
4- absolute trust (tawakkul) in Him.
5- the terms of slavery; are dictated by Allah. The rules and standards come from Allah alone, which you have to follow.
قُلْ إِنَّ صَلَاتِي وَنُسُكِي وَمَحْيَايَ وَمَمَاتِي لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
Say, “Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah , Lord of the worlds.
[al An’am 6:162]