Mastery Education Expert Interview
Meridian Academy Principal and mastery education expert, Dr. Dustin Barrett, discusses survey findings, themes, and considerations.
Leader interviews are one of the most direct ways we help our subscribers make their voices heard and make a difference — we take their views directly to leaders and experts on the topic and get their reactions!
It’s great for our subscribers to hear what they think, but it also is great for the interviewee because they can reinforce our findings or they can set the record straight. Win-win!
In this interview, I chat with Dr. Dustin Barrett, Meridian Academy Principal and mastery education expert. Check it out!
Also, hyperlinks to highlights are below if you want to skip.
- Introduction to Make Idaho Better (0:00)
- How the Personalized Education Survey happened (1:40)
- How often do people hear about mastery education? (7:20)
- Understanding of mastery education. The more you hear about it, the more you understand? (11:25)
- What’s an acceptable graduation rate? 95%. What’s our current graduation rate? 80%. (14:58)
- The effect of student ownership on engagement. “100% more engaged.” (21:15)
- Grading students on what they know, versus what they do. Choosing the right answer on a multiple choice test, versus “show me.” (29:43)
- Individual pacing. Overwhelming approval of that. (36:59)
- Everyone should have access to a personalized education. Think equity. (39:07)
- Would YOU have learned more with mastery? The only reason 95% aren’t saying yes is because they don’t fully understand it (60% said yes). (45:15)
- How expensive is it? Not much more expensive — “it’s a change in philosophy.” (48:50)
- How quickly could it be offered to everyone? Current pace: 35 years. Actually, though: 3–5 years. (55:30)
- The single best thing Dustin wants is for universities to start teaching it. (1:07:52)