Best Wordpress Security Plugins that your site definitely needs
Here is the list of some of the best WordPress Security Plugins that will help you keep your WordPress blog/site secured.
As we are all aware that WordPress is one of the most famous platforms used widely by developers for building blogs and websites. Due to this, hackers and spammers have now a keen interest in breaching the security of WordPress. Here is the list of some of the best WordPress Security Plugins that will help you keep your WordPress blog/site secured.
Sucuri Security — Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening (One of the Best FREE WordPress Security Plugins)
Develoepd by Sucuri Inc. who are globally recognized when it comes to matters related to website security along with their specialization in WordPress Security. The plugin offers many features, but few of the interesting ones include:
- Security Activity Auditing: This is related to the activity of the user
- File Integrity Monitoring: Monitors all your upload directory
- Remote Malware Scanning: It scans through your site for any malware
- Blacklist Monitoring: Can flag if you are about to get blacklisted due to some malware reason and can help you get the site back
They also offer Website Firewall but with their premium plugin.
Recommendation: I have personally used this plugin and out of all the wordpress security plugins this one i found to be very effective. One of my site was continously getting attacked by spammers and malware, a friend recommended this and i used. I got the results within 24 hours.
An easy to use WordPress Security Plugin, helps secure your WordPress site with firewall and reduces the security risk by checking for vulnerabilities by implementation of the latest security techniques recommended by WordPress Experts.
Some of the Key features it offers include:
- User Account Security
- User Login Security
- User Registration Security
- Database Security
- File System Security
Edge: This plugin has one edge over the top one that it offers the firewall for free.
Cloudflare is more than just a security plugin. It not only secures your WordPress site but also helps you accelerates page load speeds, improves SEO, and protects against DDoS attacks and WordPress-specific vulnerabilities. It offers a FREE WordPress plugin which offers the following benefit:
- One-click WordPress-optimized settings
- Web application firewall (WAF) rulesets specific to WordPress (paid plans only)
- Automatic cache purge on website updates
- GUI within the WordPress plugin dashboard to toggle Cloudflare settings
Edge: You should definitely signup for Cloudflare as they are more than just the security plugin, the best thing i like about them is that its a one spot platform where i can even find SSL solution, optimization and security. Should definitly check them out.
This plugin is useful when your site has been attacked or you think there is some vulnerabilities present and you want to scan through the entire site. The plugin will prevent/detect and remove malicious viruses and suspicious codes. It offers the following core features:
- Detect backdoors, rootkits, trojan horses, worms, fraudtools, adware, spyware, hidden links, redirection and etc.
- Site Protection scans not only theme files, it scans and analyzes all the files of your WordPress website
Usage: This plugin is useful incase for developers who downloads WordPress Themes and Plugins from torrents as it help you scan the theme files and analyze each one of them.
Stop The Hacker is not just a WordPress plugin, but its a one spot solution for all your site security. It has a wide range of products to offer which includes features such as:
- Detect malware that Antiviruses miss
- Automatic Cleanup
- Blacklist & Reputation Monitoring
- Find security vulnerabilities
- No Installation needed
- Protect your business and revenue stream
Unfortunately, the don’t offer the services for FREE, i have used them personally for few sites and they literally do what they are committing above but with a price.
Pro Tip: Out of many reasons of the security breach, one of them is use of unwanted blacklisted plugins. Check whether you are using one or not: Blacklisted plugins for WordPress
Wordfence is the one of the most popular WordPress security plugins and has approximately 22 million downloads. It’s a 100% free and open source with Premium API key that gives you Premium Support, Country Blocking, Scheduled Scans, Password Auditing, real-time updates to the Threat Defense Feed, two-factor authentication, and we even check if your website IP address is being used to Spamvertize. Some of the core features they offer include:
- WordPress Firewall
- Blocking Feature
- WordPress Login Security
- Security Scanning
- Threat Monitoring
- Multi-Site WordPress Security
Pro Tip: WordPress has a built-in file editor which allows you to edit your theme files and plugin from the WordPress Admin area. If this goes into the wrong hands, this feature can cause a security breach, best to turn off this feature via the use of define( ‘DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT’, true ); in your wp-config.php file.
BulletProof Security is another one of the coolest one stop solution for WordPress Security. It offers Malware scanner, Firewall, Login Security, DB Backup, Anti-Spam & much more. The plugin has an edge on one point from the rest of the above that it offers a backup feature as well.
Let’s look at some of the core features of this plugin:
- MScan Malware Scanner
- .htaccess Website Security Protection (Firewalls)
- Hidden Plugin Folders|Files Cron (HPF)
- Login Security & Monitoring
- DB Backup: Full|Partial DB Backups | Manual|Scheduled DB Backups | Email Zip Backups | Cron Delete Old Backups
iTheme Security helps fix common holes, stop automated attacks and strengthen user credentials. They protect your site from brute force attacks, bans troublesome user agents, bots and other hosts and turns of File Editing from the backend admin. Some of the other core features they offer include:
- Scans your site to instantly report where vulnerabilities exist and fixes them in seconds
- Strengthens server security
- Enforces strong passwords for all accounts of a configurable minimum role
- Forces SSL for admin pages (on supporting servers)
- Forces SSL for any page or post (on supporting servers)
- Detects and blocks numerous attacks to your filesystem and database
Conclusion: That’s all, the above are one of the very best WordPress Security Plugins that you may want to use it for your site security. Please do keep an eye on the “Pro Tips” and “Recommendations” as they may help you learn the top WordPress security best practices.
If you enjoyed this post…it would mean a lot to me if you could click on the “claps” icon…up to 50 claps allowed — Thank You!