Correction to “Update, October 9th”
Of those who purchase Series 7 Showcase works, there will be only ONE winner of Jarid Scott’s commissioned piece.
Apologies for the miscommunication.
Update, October 9th
To celebrate the grand finale Week 7, MakersPlace Ambassador & Creator, Jarid Scott, will gift an edition of a MakersPlace commissioned work of his to one person who purchases any Series 7 work between now and 8:30am PST (California time), October 14th. Check out the all the Series 7 works here or click on our creators below:
- Fragile Balance (Alison Lee Cousland)
- Floating (Gert-Jan Akerboom, Jody Vaughn Lawrence)
- Whole of Halving (Norma Xelda Jara)
- Outerplace (La Mirada de Luisa)
- Hidden Depths (Joe Chiappetta, Dan Forlenza, Nicolas Leas-Celyn, Voke)
- Augmented Humanity (RF.ST / Ruffensteint Renders, jrdsctt)
- Lost in the Redwoods (Ruth Allen)
- Visual Music (Mike Butler, MJ Moonbow)
- Bulls and Bears (FIG)
And, check out each week’s winning Series 7 creation in the MakersPlace Private Collection here.
Update, August 31st
We received a few great questions from our community of creators that prompted an update to the section titled, “What Happens With The 5 Limited Editions?” (See updates to this section in the Original Article below.)
Welcome to the Kickoff of the SERIES 7 SHOWCASE!
7 weeks to create a series of 7 works
5 editions each
SERIES 7 SHOWCASE: THEMES
These themes were provided by and inspired by the collectors of MakersPlace. Choose ONE theme from the list. Please choose carefully as you will be creating a series of 7 works around the same theme.
• Augmented Humanity
• Augmented Artist
• Augmented Art
• California Dream
• Lost in the Redwoods
• Gold and Gate Bridge
• Contraption (machine or mechanical device)
• Fragile Balance
• Visual Music
• Hidden Depths
• Bulls & Bears
• Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
• Fear of Missing Out
• Whales of Fortune
• Whole of Halving
• Metallic Memories
• Past the Future
• Happiness in Dystopia
• Everything is Connected
• Frozen Energy
New work must be created within the next 168 hours and directly inspired by one phrase from the list.
Need a refresher on what this art challenge is about and what the rules are? Scroll down.
Good luck, Makers!
Makers! It’s your lucky 7 weeks to create a series of 7 works, 5 editions each around 1 theme. It will take a lot of patience and determination, but it will be rewarding and exciting, because we’re doing this together!
WHY SHOULD I PARTICIPATE?
There are 2 categories of people who will participate for the following reasons:
Participate as a CREATOR to…
• Find your overall style that is uniquely you.
• Learn how to create art that is cohesive and consistent so it’s yours and people know it’s yours.
• Develop patience with the subject matter by delving deeper into the story.
• Learn how to bring traffic to your storefront.
• Increase engagement on your storefront.
• Increase exposure of your works.
• Increase your portfolio of works.
• Reach artistic goals.
• Learn (Improve technique, try new tools, or a new style or medium, etc.)
• Have fun!
Participate as a COLLECTOR…
• For a chance to win an edition from each participating creator.
• To build your very own art collection.
• To establish a connection with the artist of the works you are collecting from.
• To directly support the artist that you are a fan of.
• To get an understanding of the style of digital art you enjoy.
• Have fun!
*This challenge was inspired by Tara Lever’s Mini Series Art Challenge.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE AS A CREATOR?
Starting Monday, August 26th, MakersPlace will post an announcement of the start of the challenge PLUS a list of collector-supplied phrases for you to choose from.
- PREPARE: You have one week for the whole process below — Monday at 8:30am to the next Monday at 8:30am. We will only accept ONE “Series 7 Showcase” creation from EACH participating creator each week starting at 8:30am on Mondays for 7 weeks.
- CHOOSE: When you choose your theme from the list, choose carefully, as you will be honing your skills through this theme for 7 weeks. Your 7 works as a whole must be visually cohesive. When all 7 works are displayed together, it must be evident that they are connected* (*at the discretion of the MakersPlace team).
• Start creating.
• All 7 of your creations must be newly created and directly inspired by the theme you have chosen and announced in your description.
• Publish 5 editions on your MakersPlace store.
• So it’s easy to find, tag your piece in your storefront with: series7showcase
• You may set a price.
• Let us know what theme you chose in the description.
• We highly suggest that you apply your storytelling skills when writing your description. Please refrain from including “created for the Series 7 Showcase” or similar as that “dates” your work and can decrease its value.
- POST: Post your direct link with BOTH of the following hashtags #series7showcase AND #makersplaceco …
• on Discord in the #general channel
• and/or on Twitter
- PROMOTE: Spread the word. Talk to your friends and family. Post across your social medias. Find your local group of art lovers. Network with people who collect.
- REPEAT: Publish your next work on Monday starting at 8:30AM (PST — California time)
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE AS A COLLECTOR?
- FIND: Go to Discord or Twitter and search the hashtags:
#series7showcase #makersplaceco then click on the direct link to the creator’s storefront.
- ENGAGE: Like and provide a quality comment (e.g what you like about the artwork). If you’re the first to comment on the Series 7 Showcase piece, you’ll win an edition to add to your collection.
- BE THE FIRST TO KNOW: Be sure to follow the creators you like and comment on. This will ensure that you are the first to know when a new artwork drops. As soon as you are notified, provide a quality comment on that piece for a chance to win an edition.
HOW WILL THE WINNING CREATOR BE CHOSEN EACH WEEK?
ONE weekly winning creator / creation will be chosen by the MakersPlace team based on the following criteria, and announced each Tuesday, (PST — California time):
- Has the creator followed ALL the Series 7 Showcase participation instructions? (See section above, “How Do I Participate As a Creator?”)
- Are the 7 works visually cohesive together as a whole? When all 7 works are displayed together, it must be evident that they are connected* (*at the discretion of the MakersPlace team).
- The MakersPlace team will also consider Likes, Comments, Follows, Description, etc. as they review each submission.
WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE 5 LIMITED EDITIONS?
This section updated August 31, 2019:
- The first collector to provide a quality comment on each of the Series 7 Showcase submissions each week will be gifted an edition of that work by the creator of that work.
- MakersPlace will guarantee a $50 bid for an edition of the ONE winning work of the week, and will place it in the MakersPlace Gallery.
- The Winning Creator will keep the other editions to do with as they will.
WHERE WILL THE WINNING CREATION BE POSTED?
- Chosen creations will be shared each week:
• on Makersplace.com
• To thousands of subscribers on our monthly newsletter.
• Discord: In the #general channel
• Twitter: @makersplaceco
• Instagram: @makersplaceco + @arts.lovr
• Facebook: @makersplaceco
- On September 2nd, we will end submission time, and open the floor for submissions of the next piece in your series. This will repeat Monday every week until October 7th.
- The MakersPlace team will post the winning submission every Tuesday on a weekly basis until October 15th, 2019.