Swim Session: Learn to use & lose the toys!
Coach Mike’s Lost Toys #2 swim set
The focus of this session is on strength — strong swimming being about controlled power, not thrashing your arms more quickly!
Lots of toys!
- Pull buoy
- Bands (a cut up inner tube)
- Tempo trainer
Get started with:
Poolside mobility and deep controlled breathing.
- 200m easy
- 100m slow down, head a little higher so you can watch your hands (not the bottom of the pool!)
- 100m with pull buoy, concentrate on body roll and stretching out the rib cage to reach forward (still being aware and looking at your hands)
- 100m concentrate on tipping hands back and elbows high
- 4x 25m swimming down the centre blue line and ensuring hands pass along the edge of the blue line (not out to the side)
- 500m with tempo trainer set at your CSS + 4secs (= add 1 sec to your beeper time for each 25m length) keep just ahead of the beeper, strong controlled pace
- 500m with bands, pull buoy and paddles
- 500m with pull buoy and paddles
- 500m with pull buoy
- 5 x 100m swim with beeper on same CSS time as before but keep ahead of the beeper with only the time you’ve made up over the four lengths as your recovery (= short recovery!)
- 200m mix of strokes
You can decrease the distances if you’re short of time or it’s a bit too full on — make the main set blocks of 400ms or 300ms — but keep the focus on the ingredients for a strong, powerful stroke all the way through.