The Mission of the March For Public Education
July 22, 2017
March for Public Education exists to promote public education through peaceful demonstration and action.
Public Schools will be safe, inclusive spaces for learning and critical thinking, where all children discover their passion(s) and role(s) as citizens. As members of March for Public Education, we aim to advance policy and recursively address issues of: equity, inclusion, accountability, a well-funded institution and the right to organize.
- Schools must fight for equity. All students should enter the classroom on equal footing. Special educators, social workers, school psychologists, behavioral specialists, occupational therapists, and countless others are critical to creating an equitable school culture. Striving toward this ideal is the only way to create a meritocratic environment that is fair for all students.
- Schools must strive to create a safe space for all. In this regard, schools have the recursive responsibility to combat racism, sexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, xenophobia, homophobia, and other prejudices.
- Schools must empower all children to discover their desires, passions and potential. In turn, children become tenacious adults who are critical thinkers, involved citizens, and lifelong learners. The arts, humanities, mathematics, sciences, and physical education are equally vital in developing the whole child.
- Schools must be held accountable in the fight for equity. Accountability can include thoughtful standards and purposeful testing. These structures should strive to help schools provide a better education to all students and should coincide with intentional professional development for teachers.
- A well-funded public education is a right of all children, regardless of their intersectional identities. For profit educational institutions and their fundamental motivation for capital are incongruous with helping children realize their full identity.
- College should be affordable and encouraged. Upon graduation, students deserve to pursue their future careers without the fear of personal bankruptcy caused by crushing student debt.
- Faculty and staff have the right and responsibility to organize. Public educators, public school parents, and their allies must challenge societal paradigms on behalf of students and communities.
JOIN THE MARCH on the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/254445494966564/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1101122606660880/