Get Internet Famous with These 11 Instagram Hacks
It’s one of the most popular social networking sites on the planet, with over 200 million active monthly members sharing 60 million images and 1.6 billion likes per day.
Just how awesome is it?
Engagement rates for brands on most social networks are less than 0.1%, but Instagram blows them all away. The average Instagram engagement rate for brands in a 2014 Forrester study was an epic 58 times higher than on Facebook.
You can’t argue with numbers like that. But that’s just average. And as I advocate across all manners of online marketing, you don’t want to be average!
Average isn’t something we aspire to be.
It’s not a dream, or a goal.
58 times greater engagement than something else sounds great, but you can do so much better than that on Instagram. Whether you’re a big brand or maybe just wondering how to become Instagram famous, I don’t want you to strive for average — I want you to reach for the stars and become an Instagram unicorn. A digital unicorn is that magical, rare creature that in this case outperforms all others by orders of magnitude.
And you’re going to accomplish this by working these amazing Instagram marketing strategies into your social strategy. Check out these Instagram caption ideas and see what to post on Instagram to get way more visibility and engagement:
1. Cross-promote your dedicated hashtag. That’s nice that you created a #joesgarage hashtag for your company, but who knows to use it to share content about you? Make sure it’s in your profile, but take the game offline and have it printed on your receipts, in print ads, on signage in your store and at relevant events. If you’re on radio and TV, direct people to use your hashtag. Integrate with offline by ensuring it’s listed on your other social profiles, on your website, and in your email blasts. Don’t just hope people will find it.
2. Get creative with hashtagging. When it comes to Instagram caption ideas, you need to look beyond the one word, obvious hashtags. Sure, you want to use those, too, but mix it up and use hashtags to tell part of your story. Be funny, ironic, or outrageous — just don’t be BORING. Collaborative workspace company WeWork is great at this, and they include a fun mix of Instagram content, too.
3. Participate in massively popular conversations. For every post, use a mix of topically relevant hashtags such as #woodconstruction for a carpentry company, for example, as well as trending, super popular hashtags wherever you can. The really specific hashtags are like longtail keywords in that they show more intent and help you find the right people, but the universally trending hashtags like #instagood, #tbt, #photooftheday or even plain old #fun get you in front of more people in general. You need both to make it on a social network as big and noisy as Instagram.
4. Make the most of your bio URL. It’s prime real estate on your Instagram profile… do you really want your bio to only link to your website homepage, now and forever? Yawn. Change it up at least bi-weekly and use that clickable Instagram bio link to drive traffic to your newest or most popular content.
5. Get descriptive. A picture is worth a thousand words, but you can’t skip the words entirely. National Geographic is fantastic at using storytelling alongside their Instagram photos to generate engagement and sharing. While traditional media brands have dropped like flies, NatGeo has thrived across digital and become one of the top brands on Instagram, with over 50 million followers. Like the other Instagram hacks I’ve included here, this is something you’ll want to commit to working into your strategy over time, so don’t worry if it feels weird at first. Your writing will improve as you find your Instagram voice.
6. Go all in on influencer marketing. Visit the profiles of each person you’ve identified as an Instagram influencer in your space (AKA a person who influences the people you want to get in front of) and “Turn On Post Notifications” to be notified every time they share new content. You can then interact with them regularly and become one of their favorite people or brands.
7. Remove tagged photos of you from your profile. If you only want to feature the best user generated content about you or your brand on your Instagram profile, you can. Now, you can’t remove the tagged photo from the site entirely, but choosing “Edit Tags,” selecting the ones you want to remove and choosing “Hide from Profile” (you may need to confirm) does the trick.
8. Approve photo tags before the content shows on your profile. Speaking of giving you greater control over which tagged photos appear on your profile, you can change your Instagram setting so tagged photos won’t show unless you approve them first. You’ll find this under “Options,” “Photos of You,” and “Add Manually.” I’m trying to think of why any company would NOT want to do this… Nope. I’ve got nothing. You should absolutely set this up to avoid potentially embarrassing situations.
9. Develop your own Instagram style. It’s human nature to want to fit in, but on Instagram, you want to stand out. Indian beverage brand Frooti has developed such a unique visual content style, it’s instantly recognizable every time a user sees one a Frooti post in their newsfeed. Check it out:
10. Get local. See what’s going on in a specific area (say, your neighborhood, a city you’re targeting in ads, or even an event in a certain location) by going to the search page and choosing the Places tab. Then, type in the name of the place to see all geotagged posts for that location.
11. Remember your calls to action! Instagram, like other social networks, is a conversation, not a broadcasting platform. What action do you want people to take on your post? If you don’t know that, start over and figure it out. Staples is great at generating engagement by letting people know exactly what they expect them to do with their posts (bonus points if you make it sound fun). Often, that call to action cleverly gets people to share or virally spread Staples’ content.
12. Use Instagram Reels
Instagram reels is a new feature on IG that allows you to add a sound effect or song from your device library to your photos and videos. Your viewers will get the pleasure of viewing each picture accompanied by a soundtrack specific to an event, season, mood, etc.
Do you have a favorite Instagram hack or trick to share? Leave yours in the comments below!
P.S: Check out this article on How to optimize your Instagram profile.
Be a Unicorn in a Sea of Donkeys
Get my very best Unicorn marketing & entrepreneurship growth hacks:
About the Author
Originally posted on Inc.com