App Launch Checklist
Over prepare, then go with the flow — Regina Brett
I put this checklist together at Product School for Meetr, a group scheduling app I built at an android bootcamp. Large parts of this checklist were put together from this very comprehensive answer on Quora and this post on Kissmetrics.
Competitive Analysis and Positioning
- Look at competing apps on app store to see what the target audience is looking at. Note the categories they are listed under, the list of features, and reviews.
- Determine the Unique Selling Proposition of app and then work on positioning based on target audience.
Design, Assets and Copy
- Work with the designer to create assets for Facebook and Tumblr ads.
- Work with http://www.launchsquad.com/ Launch Squad to create video for landing page Work on layout and copy for a “coming soon” landing page to collect email ids.
- Work on layout and copy for a post-launch landing page with CTA button to download app.
- Create the landing pages to be A/B tested on http://landerapp.com/.
- Integrate Lander landing page with MailChimp.
Social Media and Influencers
- Create Facebook page and invite all friends.
- Get some sponsored posts out on Instagram.
- Create Product Hunt profile.
- Find some influencers who can try out your app and blog about it.
- Get ad copy ready for Facebook Ads with Targeting, and Tumblr Ads.
- Publish ads that leads to coming soon landing page.
- Look at the conversion rate of the number of people that enter their email id on the landing page. If it is less than 2%:
— Redefine target market for ads
— Alternate launch page messaging
— Rinse repeat until conversion rate is 2%+
- Research the blogs/websites that cover app launches. Find reporters at these publications who usually write about apps. Find their contact details. Store this info on Google Sheets.
- Prepare press kit for press release:
— Press release — Product (me)
— Icon — Designer
— Screenshots — Designer
— Marketing images — Designer
— Team pics
- Reach out to reporters on list and pitch the app. Work on copy for app store.
ASO and Analytics
- App Store Optimization using Sensor Tower. Optimize:
— App name
— Work with an engineer to get Mixpanel ready to track events.
Previous day of launch
- Email reporters to remind them of launch day — hand over press kit.
- Take a long relaxing bath.
On launch day (and beyond to get to 100 users)
- Breathe. You’ve made it to launch day.
- Follow up with reporters on the press release.
- Swap out landing page to one with CTA buttons to download app.
- Swap out Facebook and Tumblr ads to the ones that lead to new landing page.
- Post link to download app on Facebook page.
- Send out invite to download app by email to those that had provided email address on the landing page.
- Look at analytics data coming in. Watch for engagement (DAU and MAU) and retention metrics (1, 7 and 30 days) to see what can be improved.
- Read through reviews on app store and reply to the early customer feedback coming in.
Originally published at medhaghatikesh.com.