
NFL DRAFT: GOFF, WENTZ GO 1–2; TUNSIL TUMBLES TO 13
By Jordan Ray
Last month, Laremy Tunsil was the Tennessee Titans’ presumptive No. 1 overall draft pick. Two late trades made it no surprise that the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles ended up selecting quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz first and second, respectively, Thursday night.
The surprise happened to Tunsil just minutes before the draft. A video apparently showing him smoking an unknown substance out of a gas mask posted to his Twitter account. And one NFL team after another passed on the Ole Miss offensive tackle at Roosevelt University’s Auditorium Theatre.
The NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala reported that the Baltimore Ravens, choosing No. 6, took Tunsil completely off their draft board.
Even the Titans, who had a chance to take Tunsil at No. 8, said no.

Finally, the Miami Dolphins said yes, at No. 13.
“Man, somebody hacked into my account,” Tunsil said. “I made that mistake several years ago. Somehow, somebody got in my photos and hacked my Twitter account.”
Tunsil said he has no idea who hacked his account, but owned up to the video.
“I made a mistake, a huge mistake,” Tunsil said. “Things happened that I can’t control.”
In the end, the drama over the top two picks was essentially forgotten. For days, the biggest draft question involved which quarterback would go to the Rams.
Goff was expected to get the nod.
And he did.
“They said, ‘Are you ready to be an L.A. Ram?’ “ Goff said. “I said, ‘Absolutely.’ ”
Then the Eagles made Wentz he first North Dakota State player ever drafted in the first round.
“I feel great. It’s exciting. It was awesome,” Wentz said. “I didn’t have to sit there very long either.”
Last season, quarterbacks also went 1–2, with Jameis Winston going to Tampa Bay and then Marcus Mariota heading to Tennessee. Both decided to skip the draft’s return to Chicago after 50 years in New York.
Goff and Wentz opted for Chicago.
“Initially, I wanted to just be back with my family — that type of attitude,” Wentz said.“Then I realized it’s a once-in-a lifetime opportunity. … I’m glad I came.”
Before the draft, the San Diego Chargers had appeared a good bet to take Tunsil, but they chose Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa third overall.
“Talk is talk,” Bosa said. “I’m sure (when) you look at the mock draft, there’s very few that actually guess right.”
The Dallas Cowboys followed with Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott at No. 4. Three Buckeyes (Bosa, Elliott and cornerback Eli Apple) were taken in the top 10 five in the first round.
“That’s what is expected from Ohio State,” Elliott said. “That’s why we all went to the Ohio State University, because we knew we were going to be prepared to play at the next level.”
The Titans bypassed Tunsil in favor of Michigan State offensive tackle Jack Conklin. Then the Chicago Bears traded up two spots to No. 9 with Tampa Bay, giving up a fourth-rounder and the No. 11 overall pick, and took Georgia
linebacker Leonard Floyd.
Eventually, the Dolphins ended Tunsil’s slide.
“It just gives me a chip on my shoulder when I get into the league,” Tunsil said. “They (Miami) said they’re excited to have me.”