What do I know and why do you care?
Welcome to Melissable.
Yes, this is my first blog.
No, I am not a “blogger”…well maybe now that this is published I actually am. I am a lot of things, which I explain more here.
If you are here, then one of the following is likely true:
- You are a member of my family and love me, therefore love what I create.
- You are a supportive friend and therefore support the crazy shit I do.
- You are somehow connected to me virtually and your feed told you to.
- You found me. You found Melissable and are genuinely curious.
No matter which one you are, I’m humbled that you are spending the next six minutes reading my first story. Knowing others will read this and my future stories adds value to my writing that transcends the therapeutic benefits I hope to get from the creation process.
So you’re here. Now what — what will you learn from my musings?
Some have told me that it’s like I have already lived multiple lives. I won’t lie; there are days when it certainly feels that way. But what I have gained from all this life so far is experience.
“The years teach much which the days never know.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
Life isn’t a simple path or a straight line and never looks like we imagine it when we are young. The pictures of my beautiful family above tell the story well…you all have the outtakes from your family photo shoot that tell a similar one. That is real. That is life.
It seems like a waste to have experienced so much and not share my story with anyone interested in reading it. Even more importantly, if there is one thing that I have learned whether through joy or suffering that can help one person, then isn’t it irresponsible not to share it?
This is why I’ve created Melissable. It’s time to share my experiences as a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a student, a women in tech, a dog lover and a passionate force for creating change in the world.
- If you grew up in a single parent home and didn’t have a relationship with your father, I’ve been you.
- If you’re a single mother with two small children, I’ve been you.
- If you’re living in poverty and not sure how you will pay rent while you’re rolling pennies for bread and milk, I’ve been you.
- If you’re trying to figure out how to find love again after many years of infidelity, mistrust, abuse and fear, I’ve been you.
- If you’re in a new relationship and had a baby more than a decade after your youngest child, I’ve been you.
- If you’re a woman in tech constrained by the reality that hasn’t changed as much as society would like us to think, I’m here with you.
- If you’ve been sexually harassed at work and hid it for years, yeah, #metoo.
- If you’ve decided that you have something to give back and today is the day you’re going to start telling the world, welcome to the party.
If my life so far can serve as inspiration for you, or inspire you to consider how you can create change in your life or that of others, then that’s worth sharing.
“If you want your name to be remembered after your death either do something worth writing or write some thing worth reading.”― Abraham Lincoln
I hope you come back next month. That’s right, I’m putting it in writing. I will be publishing a new story here about my life experiences and my perspectives on those experiences. Every. Month. I am not going to get crazy and tie myself to a day, because — life. But I will be back here each and every month. There’s a lot to say and who knows how long I have to say it.
If you want to connect, I would love to hear from you — email@example.com
“Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching.” — Thomas Jefferson
Leave me a clap or a comment to let me know you were here while I do this thing.