Last minute tips for MICAT-1
So finally you are done with CAT 2016. Now it’s time to think about the other upcoming exams for which you might have already registered. We hope that your CAT exam went well but you still have exams like SNAP, NMAT, MICAT and XAT which can help you open more doors to other prestigious B-schools. And if your CAT 2016 didn’t go as planned, then don’t stress yourself out. There are many windows of opportunities for you in the upcoming few days.
And the next exam up on 11th December 2016 is MICAT-1. You have already worked hard for the CAT exam so half the work is almost done. You just need to modify your preparation according to the MICAT paper pattern.
Mudra Institute of Communications Ahmedabad (MICA) is a top rated institute which offer an AICTE approved PGDM-C which is equivalent to an MBA. MICAT is conducted as the primary entrance test for MICA. Some of the key features of MICAT:
- MICAT is a computer based test (CBT) and will be conducted twice i.e. on 11th dec 2016 and 12th feb 2017 for selection of PGDM-C
- It is mandatory for all candidates to have a valid score of at least one of the following 3 exams: CAT 2016, XAT 2017 and GMAT(2015 onwards)
- A computer based exam will be conducted in almost 28 cities in India.
LAST MINUTE TIPS:
The MICAT exam is divided into two sections :
- Section 1 is subjective which contains 4 descriptive questions on writing arguments , story writing and essay writing. There is no negative marking in this section.
- Section 2 is divided into 3 parts:
- Part 1: Psychometric test
- Part 2: Aptitude (Quant, Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability)
- Part 3: General Knowledge
SECTION 1: (CREATIVE WRITING)
- Keep yourself updated with current affairs because the topics will not be abstract but something which is current and seeks serious attention
- Maintain flow in your language and use logic to structure the essay
- Give real life examples and citations wherever possible
- For this question, a set of pictures will be given and the candidate will be ask to write a story by connecting pictures
- Importance will be given to the logic behind the story that connects all the pictures. A different approach is always appreciated.
ARGUMENT IN FAVOUR OR AGAINST:
- Here a topic will be provided and the candidate will be required to present his/her views against it on in favour of it.
- The versatility in thinking is judged here. Out of the box thinking is not a necessity but definitely can play an advantage here.
- The candidate’s personality and psychology is tested here
- Judgment will be done on the basis of responses, reactions, ideas, morals, ethics and candidates’ take on events that occurred recently
- A question can be asked in 2–3 different manners to test consistency. So while answering keep this point in mind
- Be honest and avoid giving diplomatic answers
- Most of the preparation of this section is already covered in CAT
- Practice is the key
- Refer to previous year papers
- The level of this section is moderate
- The questions are a mix of current affairs, business news, marketing news, advertising agency trivia, global brands awareness, taglines of famous brands, etc.
- Online resources for reading — Campaign India, Afaqs, Exchange4media etc.
- Read as much as you can and keep yourself aware about all the current affairs
Above all the most important thing is relax and don’t panic. Be abreast with your exam pattern and work on your strengths and weaknesses. And keep in mind to print out your admit card and read the instructions properly.