MetaMask is finally coming to mobile! Last October at Devcon we announced that we were building a Mobile Application. After months of heads down work from our mobile team we are looking forward to releasing the Public Beta to Android & iOS on July 22!
Sign up Here!!!
Rather than just another wallet, MetaMask Mobile is a bridge to the decentralized web, with a dapp-centric browsing experience, intuitive on-boarding, and features that sync with your desktop MetaMask accounts.
Since MetaMask mobile is now compatible with open protocols like WalletConnect you can connect to Dapps on devices where you don’t have the extension installed on.
With MetaMask Mobile you can now:
- Use DApps on any browser
- Enjoy End-to-End Encryption
- Sign Transactions & Messages on your phone
- Receive notifications on your phone
Dependency Audit Recap
This month, a tweet raised some public concerns of the security of our codebase.
We have taken the opportunity to clean up these dependencies for the sake of improving the results of this type of automated audit.
We developed an audit tool called
npm-audit-plz that would bypass the errors that we were receiving from a normal
npm audit, which we determined was due to a bug in npm. We reported the issue to npm, and were told it had been recorded, but were not offered any estimate on timeframe for a fix.
We have also created a new bug bounty for anyone who can find a malicious dependency in the MetaMask codebase.
MetaMask founder Aaron Davis applied some of the tools he developed through this process to the Tendermint codebase, and it was a winner at the Cosmos Berlin hackathon:
Shoutout of the Month!
This months shoutout goes to Liquality! The Liquality Atomic Swap Interface alpha is live on mainnet. The interface offers a secure way to swap BTC, DAI, and ETH directly from your Ledger or Metamask wallets. Users not only save on unnecessary fees but also significantly reduce counterparty, settlement, and custodial risks. Read more Here
Development What’s New?
MetaMask v 6.7.1 is out and auto-updating in browsers near you. Next time you pop it open, check out some of the improvements listed below. These changes are new as of this month.
- #6659: Enables Ledger hardware wallet support on Firefox browsers
- #6625: Transactions have an intrinsic minimum gas requirement (2100 + data fee). This update ensures that transactions cannot be confirmed if gas limit is below 21000.
- #6718: Added the abilty to delete custom RPCs
- #6690: Update dependencies, re-enable npm audit CI job blog post. (Fixes a bunch of npm audit errors)
- #6623: Improve contract method data fetching minimizing the number of network requests made when loading the send screen and transaction list. Also stops blocking the loading of the send screen on contract method fetch requests
- #6551: Adds 4byte registry fallback to getMethodData() makes significantly fewer requests than the previous implementation
- #6700: Fix styles on ‘import account’ page and updated help link
- #6714: Wrap smaller custom block explorer url text
- #6671: bugfix: rejects enable promise on user rejection
MetaMask by the numbers
In the past month…
✅ 42 PRs merged
🛠 127 commits
💫 34 Github issues closed, (35)opened
🔧 1,027 support tickets solved last month
💥 35,613 lines of code added and 21,624 deleted.
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can always reach out to us directly or file an issue on our Github.
Builders, help us make useful tools for you!
Are you a developer using MetaMask to build your business, DApp, side project, main project, or anything in between? If the answer is yes then we need your help! Your thoughts and opinions are crucial for us and inform our future development. Any insights gained will ultimately help improve MetaMask.
Will you help us with this 5-minute form → Here ←
Thanks for reading and stay foxy!!! 🦊