MetaMask Monthly: March
Product updates from the MetaMask Team
This month we rolled out our MetaMetrics analytics system. For those who haven’t heard about this feel free to check out the intro to it here. In short, this will play a crucial role in helping improve the usability of the decentralized web.
MetaMask respects your privacy and safety above all else so here is just a reminder of the number of steps we are taking:
- MetaMetrics will be opt-in. After opt-in, you can opt-out anytime.
- MetaMetrics will not collect sensitive data from users: No seed words, no public addresses, no private keys, and no data outside of the extension (we aren’t reading your tabs).
- MetaMetrics data will only be used for guiding development through an understanding of how people are using the product. We will not profit off of your data. Ever.
- Data collected will be anonymous. Individual data points will be deleted in compliance with GDPR regulations.
- Data will be occasionally aggregated and shared with the community-at-large.
- Our codebase continues to be open source and open to audits at our GitHub.
An important thing to reiterate on is that by opting into MetaMetrics you can help the us learn vital information. Info such as which feature do people use the most? What parts of the application do people run into the most trouble with? Where do people drop off when completing certain actions? All questions which we can find answers from valuable MetaMetrics information. This will lead to a better more intuitive MetaMask. Since launching MetaMetrics at the beginning of March, we have discovered we are averaging around 70,000 weekly active MetaMask users. A number we optimistically see growing and we continue to build out our feature set.
Ethereum Object Capabilities
Last Friday our own Dan Finlay visited the Gitcoin Livestream and talked a bit about how a concept called Object Capabilities could enhance security, composability, and scalability for accounts throughout the ecosystem. You can watch the live stream here or read his write-up here.
Privacy Mode By Default
Starting this month we started enabling Privacy mode by default for new account users. In addition we will be pushing an update to change existing users to Privacy mode by default as well. If some of you recall reading something like this before you are not mistaken. We announced this feature a few months ago here. The only difference is that now this privacy feature will be on by default! This essentially means that websites have to ask to see your Ethereum accounts. When a Dapp asks for permission to see your accounts, you’ll see a MetaMask popup like this:
It’s important to know that when privacy mode is enabled, MetaMask will not automatically expose user accounts to webpages. If privacy mode is disabled MetaMask will automatically expose user accounts to websites as it did in the past.
Why wasn’t Privacy mode on by default from the beginning?
This is an ecosystem-wide standard that requires dapps to update how they access user accounts. Since it was announced, we’ve been diligently coordinating with other dapps and dapp browsers.
We didn’t want this privacy standard to disrupt users’ workflows, so we provided a lengthy upgrade period that gave developers time to update their applications.
After almost five months, we’re happy to see that nearly all top dapps have updated to support the new standard, and we’re ready to make this the default experience for all MetaMask users.
If you’re visiting a Dapp that still isn’t EIP 1102 compliant, the site may not work as expected. In this case you will have to head to your Settings menu, turn Privacy Mode “off,” and try reloading the Dapp again.
The MetaMask team has always build its product with security and privacy in mind and we firmly believe EIP 1102 is a crucial step towards a safe, user-friendly decentralized web.
MetaMask v6.3.0 is out and auto-updating in browsers near you. Next time you pop it open, check out some of the improvements listed below. These changes are new as of this month.
- Added MetaMetrics usage analytics system. Off by default but If you consent, we’ll record anonymized events to better understand the features users gravitate towards, which features go unused, how funnels leak, and so on. (#6171)
- The gas chart is now hidden on custom networks. This change was made to avoid confusion when not on Ethereum networks. (#6300)
- We improved the design and the UX of the onboarding flow proving new users a more intuitive experience (#6192)
- We now cancel transactions and signature requests that populate in Metamask transaction history when you closing of notification window. (#6340)
- Fixed gas fees in the submitted step of the transaction details activity log Prior to this PR, transactions created outside of metamask could represent the submitted gas fee (incorrectly) as ‘0 wei’ in the activity log. (#6301)
- Added wyre for fiat to Crypto onboarding. (#6302)
- Fixed notification popups not showing when screen size was abnormal for better user preference flexibility. (#6312)
- We added a new experimental API to allow apps to prevent reload when users change the selected network. This was added to help UX for sites that are willing to put in the extra work. Developers can learn to use it here: (#6330)
- Enable mobile sync for the Beta (#6332)
- Redesign of the settings screen for overall design improvement (#6333)
- Disabled the transaction “Cancel” button when your balance is insufficient. This will prevent you from sending a Cancel transaction when you don’t have enough gas to do so. #6341)
- Enable privacy mode by default for first time users. This essentially means that websites and Dapps will have to ask to see your Ethereum accounts. (#6347)
- We’ve improved some Korean translations (#6268)
MetaMask by the numbers
In the past month…
✅ 68 PRs merged
🛠 142 commits
💫 51 Github issues closed, (48)opened
🔧 633 support tickets solved last month
💥 48,484 lines of code added and 39,138 deleted.
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can always reach out to us directly or file an issue on our Github.
Thanks for reading and stay foxy!!! 🦊