New Michelson Opcodes
Note that, due to the scientific notation formatting requirements, the full article has been published on our research blog. This article only provides a summary.
The purpose of this series is to share details with the Tezos community on a collection of features that are being explored by our team: new Michelson opcodes.
The article gives a succinct introduction to the Michelson language, and proceeds to describe the semantics of the new types and instructions in the following features:
- Support for the pairing-equipped elliptic curve construction BLS12–381: new types
bls12_381_g2_compressed, and new instructions
- More cryptographic hash algorithms: new instructions
- Support for forbidden values and branches: new type
neverand new instruction
- More comparable types: types
- Voting power data: new instructions
- General improvements: new instructions
LEVEL, and macro
UNPAIRpromoted to instruction.
New Michelson Opcodes | Protocol Research & Development at METASTATE
This document gives a succinct introduction to the Michelson language, and proceeds to describe the semantics of the…
Remarks & What’s Next?
In order to continue facilitating more community involvement in the protocol development process, the new Michelson opcodes topic will be available on upcoming public testnets. This way, different user groups can interact with and test the features beforehand.
Additionally, a detailed changelog and documentation describing the modifications introduced by each feature, including but not limited to the new Michelson opcodes, will be released in the upcoming weeks.
In the meantime, we would like to use this article as research synthesis and discussion reference, in addition to opening this topic for discussion on Tezos Agora.
More Tezos Protocol R&D Articles
- Adding Support for the Pairing-Equipped Elliptic Curve BLS12–381 to Tezos
- Enhancing Baking Accounts
- Stateful Baking Accounts
- Delegation Toggle
- Metastate’s official website for more information on current projects and organization.
- Metastate’s research blog.