Reaction Needs You.
Practice your Meteor skills while building the best ecommerce platform in the market.
If you’ve been in the Meteor landscape for a while now, you’ve most likely heard of Reaction Commerce. It is one of the most starred and anticipated Meteor projects on github. Alright, alright…as a core contributor to Reaction Commerce, maybe I’m a little biased.
In this article, I’ll show you how Reaction can help you become a better Meteor developer, while you help Reaction become the best ecommerce platform in the market.
Stop Reading, Start Doing.
You’ve read Discover Meteor? Great, we all did. You read some cool Meteor Hacks? Most of us did that too. What about Evented Mind, you watched a couple of tutorials? Half of us have been there. What now?
Now it’s time to get real, with real Meteor code. If you’ve already started working on your own Meteor projects, that’s great. But you’ve probably faced a lot of road blocks. There are two reasons for this frustration you’re facing:
- You’re doing it alone: Let’s be honest, you’re a beginner, you need a more experienced developer to guide you. Because it’s not just about “making it work”. If you’re serious about Meteor, you need to be taught the best practices, and learn how to collaborate with other devs.
- You’re doing it wrong: Let’s be honest once again, you’re working on an amateur project. You’re probably copying random code you found on stackoverflow because it “just works”. That approach won’t teach you much in the long term.
You Need Reaction. Reaction Needs You.
That’s where you meet Reaction. Reaction Commerce is a huge project, and we have a big vision for it. It’s a constant work in progress, and as an open source project, it depends heavily on the Meteor community. Whatever your skill level is, we need you. “What’s in it for me”, you ask?
- Practice your skills with experienced developers: Seriously, you’ll work with us directly. You’ll join our Slack development channel, participate in our weekly hangouts, and if you ever get stuck, I’m personally ready to assist you one on one.
- Work on a real world project: As I said, Reaction Commerce is a huge project. It is at the highest standards in software development, and follows Meteor best practices. If you could work on that project, you can tackle any Meteor project.
- A shiny entry on your resume: Working on an open source project is definitely a badge of honor. What’s even better is that Reaction isn’t “just another project”, it’s a startup. Which guarantees its existence for the foreseeable future.
- Make an impact: How much open source code have you used in your tiny projects? Would your project work without it? Heck, even Meteor is open source. It’s time to give back to the community. Your work on Reaction will impact over 1,000 shops created on Reaction so far. We’re growing everyday.
- Get a nifty shirt: Reaction appreciates your hard work. You’ll get an awesome Reaction Commerce shirt for your first accepted pull request. A thank you note for your contributions.
Excited? Then you’re ready to join us. Just send us an email.
Just to be clear, I’m just a Meteor hacker who decided to tackle Reaction’s Core out of passion, and to give back to the community. I’m just a contributor. I don’t get paid for this work, and I by no means represent Reaction Commerce in any way. I’m just like you. I just hope this article encourages you to join us in this journey.