Millennial Mindset: The 5 Stages of Authority
Your relationship with authority shapes you as a leader.
STAGE ONE: TRUST AUTHORITY
- You are in charge, so obviously you must know what you are doing.
- You say that you are really good at this and know exactly what needs to be done and I believe you.
- You know how to do things that I can’t do yet, so I will follow you.
- You say I have to do this, so I will do it.
STAGE TWO: BLAME AUTHORITY
- You said everything would work out and it didn’t and now I hate you.
- There are loads of messed up things about the organization/business you are in charge of and you make my life hard. I am disgusted.
- I found out that you are a flawed (human) being and I resent you for it.
- I find something new to complain about every day because there are so many little things wrong with your system.
STAGE THREE: REJECT AUTHORITY
- I want nothing to do with you or any organization you belong to ever again. I’m 100% out.
STAGE FOUR: GO IT ALONE
- I’ll build my own thing.
- I’ll teach myself everything I need to know.
- I’ll show them. I’ll show you all.
STAGE FIVE: FORGIVE AND CO-CREATE
- Partners make so many things work better. Collaboration speeds up achievement. And I like to have friends and mentors in the professional space.
- I will choose partners and mentors carefully and do not expect them to be perfect, but I will expect them to be transparent and fair.
- I want to work with others as a leader and/or as a follower. I care more that the work gets done and gets done well so we can help more people.
- I’m not afraid to question leaders, and I do it with compassion, assuming they are trying their hardest too. I ask them directly and don’t gossip about it.
- I’m ready to not only put some skin in the game, but to do it with compassion and joy in helping others.
What stage of authority are you in — in your most beloved projects and pursuits?
Hi. I’m Mary. I love storytelling, chiropractic, communication and marketing for millennials. And sailing. And coffee.
Press the ❤ below if you liked this story. It means a lot to me. Plus, it helps other people to discover this content.
I am building a new online product for the Millennial Chiropractor that will help you to lean into the superpowers of the millennial mindset. My goal is to empower you and save you time and money as you build your business — all by decoding the old system and helping you rebuild a version that is right for you.
Click to get the Millennial Mindset PDF (a rad pdf with helpful tips) and then you will automatically be tagged as interested in The Millennial Chiropractor stuff — so you will get updates (and discounts) as I roll this new content out over the next few months. I’m looking for people exactly like YOU. If you are still reading — you are interested. There’s no catch (swearsy), so just get the pdf already.