Whatever You Put Up With, You End Up With
“Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.” — Frederick Douglas
I’M A BIG BELIEVER that old school is good school, and that you get out of life exactly what you are willing to tolerate.
To tolerate means to allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of something that you do not necessarily like or agree with…without interference.
In other words…what you put up with, you end up with.
Now, you can strenuously disagree with the next few lines that scroll across your screen, but I assure you… resistance will prove futile.
- If you tolerate mediocrity, then you’ve surrendered any hope of excellence.
- If you tolerate excuses, then you’ve allowed behavioral rot to infiltrate your mind and environment.
- If you tolerate missed deadlines, then you’ll always under-perform and never live up to your potential.
- If you tolerate procrastination, you will find it becoming a self-defeating habit which weakens you psychologically.
- It you tolerate low quality work, there’s no reason for anyone to want to do business with you.
- If you tolerate tardiness, you allow a lazy, disrespectful precedent to be set that is detrimental to your reputation.
- If you tolerate physical or verbal abuse, then you will suffer at the hands of it.
- If you tolerate cheating of any kind, there’s no reason for your partner to stop.
- If you tolerate degrading language, you will get used to it and come to expect vulgar words in your presence.
- If you tolerate people interfering in your marriage, you will start to resent friends and family.
- If you tolerate lies, deceit and manipulation from the media or any elected official…you endorse the behavior and give it the green light to continue.
If you tolerate any or all of these things, you will live a compromised life, you will have cheated yourself and as a result…you will have wasted the one, and ONLY one life you have been given.
So what’s the solution…how do you stop the abuse…how do you empower strength and not tolerate weakness…how do you ensure that you live a life of quality and excellence?
Send a memo to yourself that you won’t tolerate low standards or any form of internal or external abuse.
Seriously consider confronting and reprimanding anyone who violates those new higher, nobler standards.
And if by chance you think that’s too harsh…well, then…here’s my promise to you…You will continue to get what you tolerate.
Consider this a fair warning — what you put up with…you end up with!
So raise the bar of your own performance, embrace Everything Counts as your battle cry…adopt it as your key operating philosophy for all performance-improvement initiatives, and it will become not just a smart move, but a sustainable competitive weapon.
If you enjoyed this post…it would mean a lot to me if you could click on the “claps” icon on the left side of page…up to 50 claps allowed — Thank You!
Gary Ryan Blair is creator of the 100 Day Challenge…a radical approach to goal achievement that shows people how to achieve 10X size results by applying the methods and best practices of growth hacking. Get all the details here.