Let’s become a better Android Developer.
This article is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn Android Development but have no idea where to start.
- Also for anyone who has already started on Android Development but wants to become better.
The goal is to provide a proper roadmap to become a better Android Developer. If this roadmap helps you in becoming a better Android Developer, then my mission will be accomplished.
Android Developer Roadmap - A complete roadmap to learn Android App Development …
Getting started with the Android Development
- First of all, you must have a basic knowledge of the Java language for Android Development. Learn the Java language from the Head-First Java book. Get the book from here.
- Set up Android Studio IDE of Android Development on your PC or Laptop. Refer here.
- Take a course or any book on Android app development with which you think you are comfortable. Being comfortable with the course or the book is very important. When you take the course or read the book, always apply that on a sample app. I mean to say that build something on whatever you read.
MindOrks Android Online Course For Beginners | Online Training Program For Starting Android…
MindOrks Android online course for beginners is a technical training program that teaches the programming and software…
MindOrks Android Online Course For Professionals | Online Training Program For Android Development…
MindOrks professional Android online course is a technical training program that teaches the programming and software…
- Setting up Kotlin in Android Studio. Refer here.
- Introduction to Android Studio IDE. Refer here.
- Android User Interface — XML and View Components. Refer here.
There is no better way to learn something than by doing.
Learning Android Development In 2019 — A Practical Guide
The New Year is here! Look ahead, embark on the road to success. May you have a great journey to your destination…
Improving yourself as an Android Developer
- Understand the Activity Lifecycle as having the knowledge of the activity lifecycle is very important when it comes to building a bug-free application.
- Understand the Fragment and it’s lifecycle. It is primarily to support more dynamic and flexible UI designs on large screens, such as tablets.
- Learn how to debug your Android application as it is the single most important skill for any developer. Android Studio provides a debugger that allows you to do so many important things.
Debug your app | Android Developers
Android Studio supports several types of breakpoints that trigger different debugging actions. The most common type is…
- Know about the navigations, task and back stack. Android Activities are the logical construct of the screens that we want a user to navigate through. The relation that each Activity holds with respect to other is very crucial for a good user experience.
Android Task and Back Stack Review
Android Activities are the logical construct of the screens that we want a user to navigate through. The relation that…
- Understanding the Context In Android Application. To develop a better Android app, we must know what context is?
Contextis almost everywhere in Android Development and it is the most important thing in the Android Development, so we must understand to use it correctly.
- Learn about the threading in detail. As the Java Virtual Machine allows an application to have multiple threads of execution running concurrently. We must know how to take the advantage of multi-threading environment correctly.
Thread | Android Developers
Every thread has a priority. Threads with higher priority are executed in preference to threads with lower priority…
- Learn how to handle the configuration changes. Some device configurations can change during the runtime such as screen orientation, keyboard availability, and when the user enables multi-window mode. We must know how to handle these changes.
Handle configuration changes | Android Developers
It is not recommended to handle configuration changes yourself due to the hidden complexity of handling the…
- Know about database and SQL.
- Know about the REST & HTTP.
- Learn about the content providers. They are used to share data between the applications. They provide mechanisms for defining data security and for encapsulating the data.
Content providers | Android Developers
Content providers manage access to a structured set of data. They encapsulate the data, and provide mechanisms for…
- Know about the 3rd party libraries. We have Mindorks Android Store to browse through all the important Android libraries, projects, tools, and apps. Compare them with their GitHub stars.
Android Store | Android Libraries, Projects, Tools and Apps
Browse through all the important Android Libraries, Projects, Tools and Apps. Compare them with their GitHub stars.
- Understanding Android Core. Looper, Handler, and HandlerThread are the Android’s way of solving the problems of asynchronous programming. They are not old school, but a neat structure on which a complex android framework is built.
Understanding Android Core: Looper, Handler, and HandlerThread
This Article covers Android Looper, Handler, and HandlerThread. These are among the building blocks of Android OS.
- Learn about Service and IntentService. A service is a component that is used to perform operations on the background such as playing music, handle network transactions, interacting content providers etc. It doesn't have any UI (user interface).
Services overview | Android Developers
Every app that runs a service places an additional load on the system, consuming system resources. If an app tries to…
- Explore when you should consider using ArrayMap for better performance of the Android application.
Android App Optimization Using ArrayMap and SparseArray
This article will show why and when to use ArrayMap and SparseArray to optimize your Android Applications.
- Learn about the tools to get the metrics of the memory usage, CPU usage, and etc. There are a few metrics that you should measure continuously while android application development.
Android App Performance Metrics
This article is completely about the metrics that you should measure continuously while android application…
- Learn about the caching implementations.
- Learn about the optimizing network request frequencies.
- Learn about the Android Sensors, GPS, Acceleration.
Motion sensors | Android Developers
The rotation vector sensor and the gravity sensor are the most frequently used sensors for motion detection and…
- Learn about location and maps.
Location and Maps | Android Developers
Note: This is a guide to the Android framework location APIs in the package location. The Google Location Services API…
- Learn about creating Custom View. To develop a better Android app, we must know how to create custom views.
Create your own Custom View
In this blog, we will learn about the custom view and how to implement it as one. We will talk about each and every…
- Always focus more on learning techniques not so many frameworks. This helps in the longer run. As an example, I wrote on: How The Android Image Loading Library Glide and Fresco Works?
How The Android Image Loading Library Glide and Fresco Works?
I am writing this article to share my knowledge which I have learned the hard way.
- Holding reference of objects that are not required anymore is a bad practice, freeing objects reference after being served is helpful for the garbage collector to kill that object, that eventually helps yourself in memory leaks issues. If you keep objects reference unnecessarily, it only leads to memory leaks. Learn how to detect and fix the memory leaks in the Android application.
Detecting and fixing memory leaks in android
Many a time we see ANR dialog while using android apps, lags in our apps, we also see OutOfMemoryError in Android…
- Learn about the performance patterns in Android applications. How to improve the performance of your application.
- Learn about the battery improvement.
- Understand the app launch time and work on to improve it.
- Know how you can reduce the APK size.
How to reduce APK size in android
Recently we have released an Android application. Then, many of the folks started asking us that how…
Android App Bundle
In Google I/O 2018, a new publishing format has been introduced for Android applications called Android App Bundle. It…
Android App bundle(.aab)
A new app publishing format is available in 3.2 version to deploy customized apk to users using Google play’s dynamic…
- Understand Bitmaps. As it takes a huge amount of memory, can lead to OOM easily. Users love content! Especially when the content is well formatted and looks nice. Images, for instance, are extremely nice content, mainly due to their property of conveying a thousand words per image. They also consume a lot of memory. A lot of memory!
Handling bitmaps | Android Developers
Improve your app's performance by learning how to optimize power consumption, launch times, and other important areas…
- Learn the Android Architecture Components.
What are Android Architecture Components?
What are Android Architecture Components? As the Android Jetpack components are a collection of libraries that are…
- Learn about writing tests.
Android Testing Codelab
In this codelab, you'll learn how to get started with testing for Android. We'll look at the testing integration in…
Automated Performance Testing Codelab
In this codelab you will create a stable and reusable testing harness to run performance tests on a very simple…
- Learn RxJava. Nowadays RxJava is a must for developing an Android app.
- Learn Kotlin.
A Complete Guide To Learn Kotlin For Android Development
A Complete Resources and Tutorials To Learn Kotlin For Android Development At One Place.
- Learn Kotlin Coroutines
Mastering Kotlin Coroutines In Android - Step By Step Guide
In this blog, we are going to master the Kotlin Coroutines in Android. We will cover what exactly Coroutines are and…
- Learn about the dependency injection, Dagger.
Introduction to Dagger 2, Using Dependency Injection in Android: Part 1
This article contains a lot of information. So for the purpose of readability I have broken it into two parts.
- Learn about MVP architecture.
Android MVP Introduction
It is an architecture that provides code reusability and testability.
Essential Guide For Designing Your Android App Architecture: MVP: Part 1
If you make your foundations strong, then you can rise high and touch the sky.
- Learn about MVVM architecture.
android-mvvm-architecture - This repository contains a detailed sample app that implements MVVM architecture using…
- Learn how to apply proguard in an Android application. It is a tool used to minify the code, obfuscate the code, and optimize the code which reduces the size of the application.
Applying Proguard In An Android Application
ProGuard is a tool used to minify, obfuscate, and optimize the code in an Android application.
- Read about the security tips to build a secure Android application.
Security tips | Android Developers
Dalvik is Android's runtime virtual machine (VM). Dalvik was built specifically for Android, but many of the concerns…
- Know about the Android Useful tools. As we all are fortunate to live in the world where everyone builds tool to help each other. These tools make the development fast and our life easier. Do not forget to explore and use these tools.
Android Development Useful Tools
Over the years, these are the Android development tools I’ve found most useful. I consistently use these tools to build…
- Read others code. This is the best thing a developer can do and learn to code in the best way. I personally feel that I have learned a lot from the code of the open-source apps.
- Know about the Android development best practices.
Android Development Best Practices
Let’s explore some best practices in designing and developing Android apps.
android-best-practices - Do's and Don'ts for Android development, by Futurice developers
- Learn Git. It is a version control system for tracking changes in computer files and coordinating work on those files among multiple people.
- Know how to improve your code with lint checks
Improve your code with lint checks | Android Developers
Android Studio provides a code scanning tool called lint that can help you to identify and correct problems with the…
- Know about the Gradle Build Tool.
Gradle Tips and Tricks for Android
In this blog, we will learn some Gradle tips and tricks for Android. After reading this blog, you will be able to use…
- Contribute to open-source projects. I love open source. It has really helped me a lot to improve myself. So, start contributing to open source.
How to Contribute to Open Source
Want to contribute to open source? A guide to making open source contributions, for first-timers and for veterans.
- Know about Continuous Integration. Continuous integration ensures that your code is building on a server that is not your own machine. Use CI like Jenkins, Circle CI, Travis, and etc.
- Become more productive in android with android studio plugins.
How to become more productive in android with android studio plugins
Android studio is a very robust tool. It has the simplest and yet the most flexible interface to design UI for all…
- Always be updated with the new technology in Android. If you miss it, you simply miss it. The best way to be always updated is to join a community or follow some twitter accounts. You can join Mindorks Community as we always keep posting new things in the Slack group.
Mindorks | Become a complete and happy Android developer
Learn Android development, basic to most advanced through the courses designed by the top developers across the globe…
We also post updates on Twitter about all the new things in Android. So, follow us on twitter.
Also, hear the android developer backstage podcasts to know about the awesome things happening in Android.
- Watch and learn about the Android Performance Patterns from the series of video directly from the Android Developers Channel.
- After all. If you want an awesome job, prepare for the job interview from here.
android-interview-questions - Your Cheat Sheet For Android Interview - Android Interview Questions
MindOrks Android Online Course is an online course in which you learn the industry-standard Android development skills…
Bookmark this article to refer again and become a better Android developer.
Happy Learning :)
Want to know more about me? Visit amitshekhar.me.
Clap, share if you like it and follow me for the updates.