Day 35: Confession
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
“If we say we do not bear the guilt of sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. But if we confess our sins, HE is faithful and righteous, forgiving us our sins and cleansing us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make HIM a liar and HIS WORD is not in us. (My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.) But if anyone does sin, we have an ADVOCATE with the FATHER, JESUS CHRIST the RIGHTEOUS ONE, and HE HIMSELF is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for our sins but also for the whole world.”
— 1 John 1:8–2:2 (NET)
Leaves no longer cover our nakedness. Idols are no longer wood and stone. The blood on our hands is no longer literal. We’re too clever for all that. We don’t hide our sin with leaves anymore; we use lies. We don’t worship Asherah poles anymore; we worship power. We don’t murder our brother; we hate him and bloody our conscience.
Our GOD — FATHER, SON and SPIRIT — sees us as we are, inviting us to see ourselves as we are held in HIS gaze, inviting us to throw ourselves into the arms of the ONE who, while we were yet sinners, died for the ungodly. This is the gospel that meets us in our spiritual poverty. Scrawled on a scrap of paper while on his deathbed, the Reformer Martin Luther wrote, “We are beggars; this is true.”
Come to GOD today in the full assurance that even in the thick of your sin, you have a merciful and faithful HIGH PRIEST who intercedes for you (Hebrews 2:17).
- YOUNGER KIDS READ: “The Terrible Lie” on page 28 in The JESUS Storybook Bible / OLDER KIDS READ: Genesis 3
- ASK: What’s the lie that the serpent told Eve?
- TALK: We have a real enemy in satan; he will do whatever he can to make us think that GOD does not love us or want the very best things for us. It makes him so happy when we believe the lies he tells us. And it makes GOD so sad because HE loves us so much and we can be sure that HE is always doing things for our good. We might not understand how HE does things all the time, or even agree that those things are good for us, and that’s okay. But we can always trust that GOD always, always, always is looking out for what’s best for us and HE does and will give us good things.
- ASK: Have you believed the lie that satan whispers- the lie that GOD does not love you?
- PRAY: Confess to GOD that you have doubted HIS love for you and ask HIM to give you ears to hear HIS whispers of love for you.