25 Students Selected for the MIT Intro to Cryptocurrency Bootcamp for People of Color and Women

Gina Vargas
Aug 18, 2016 · 4 min read

Today, the MIT Digital Currency Initiative is excited to announce the selection of 25 students to attend the first-ever Cryptocurrency Bootcamp at the MIT Media Lab. More than 300 students from 5 continents, 36 U.S. states and 150 universities applied for the opportunity to attend the bootcamp.

These students not only represent diversity in ethnicity, gender and geography, but also in their fields of study and interests. While 58% of the students are studying computer science or engineering, the other 42% are majoring in subjects like psychology, art and accounting.

Likewise, their interests range from co-founding an organization whose mission is to make communities safer through wearable tech and mobile apps to starting an internet of things (IOT) club on campus to give the university and classmates access to the latest IOT advances. As a result of their experiences building companies and starting organizations, they now want to leverage cryptocurrencies in developing economies to empower family members back home or figure out how IOT can be applied to the blockchain.

The students will learn about cryptography, elliptic curves and merkle trees, and participate in hands-on labs deconstructing transactions and building mining devices. At night, the students will attend personal development sessions, learning about leadership skills, tips for applying to graduate school and entrepreneurial life hacks.

Lastly, we’re excited to announce three new bootcamp sponsors: Tucows, Deloitte and 21. These companies and our previously announced donors, The Kapor Center for Social Impact and Xapo, have generously donated more than $100,000 in money and in-kind donations to organize and pay for the all-expense paid trip to this Cryptocurrency Bootcamp from August 21 to August 26, 2016.

Please join us in congratulating the 25 students below:

Eric Agredo (’17); University of Florida, Computer Science Engineering
Jordana Approvato (’18); Stevens Institute of Technology, Computer Science, @jordanadaire
Océane Boulais (’17); Florida Atlantic University, Electrical Engineering, @pacificallyoce
Justin Camarena (‘17); California State University, San Bernardino, Computer Science, @juscamarena
Alejandra Cervantes (’18); University of California, Los Angeles, Computer Science and Statistics, @alejcerv
Arturo Chavez-Gehrig (‘18); MIT, Computer Science and Economics
Alston Clark (‘18); Howard University, Computer Science, @alstonclark
Stephani Diep (‘17); University of Hawaii at Manoa, Computer Science and Accounting
Ashana Evans (‘17); North Carolina A&T State University, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, @ashana_e
Danielle Hill (‘19); Columbia University, Computer Science, @dlaurenhill
Caroline Liu (‘18); MIT, Mechanical Engineering
John Llamas (‘18); University of Southern California, Business Administration
Brandon Long (‘18); North Carolina A&T State University, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
America Lopez (‘19); Los Angeles City College, Computer Science and Information Technology, @cybercodetwins
Amber Meighan (‘17); MIT, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Kemi Odusanya (‘18); Brown University, Computer Science
Tami Olafunmiloye (‘18); University of Maryland, Aerospace Engineering, @the_conTAMInatr
Priyadharshini Rajbabu (‘19); New Jersey Institute of Technology, Computer Science
Pedro Sandoval Segura (‘19); Harvey Mudd College, Computer Science and Mathematics
Julio Soldevilla (‘17); University of California, Berkeley, Mathematics and Economics
James Spann (‘19); Rochester Institute of Technology, Computer Science, @thedeveloperj
Edwin Villafane Hernandez(‘18); Pomona College, Computer Science and Statistics, @techievillafane
Jarnickae Wilson (‘17); University of Chicago, Physics
Maxcell Wilson (‘17); University of Central Florida, Computer Science, @maxcell
Alice Wong (‘18); MIT, Computer Science

MIT Media Lab Digital Currency Initiative

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store