Got 72 Hours? Let’s Make a Movie San Diego (2015 Edition)
For you tl;dr (too long, didn’t read) folks:
- We’re making a short movie over the weekend of November 14th, 2015 in San Diego and we want YOU to be a part of it! The winning film will be screened at both the Cannes Film Festival 2016, and the Filmapalooza 2016.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP! (unless you’re not into *gold statues, red carpets, and swimming in a pool filled with millions of dollars!)
- Experience is awesome but not a required. We’re just looking for fun, awesome people who are crazy enough to want to make a movie in less than 72 hours. You DO have to be available for the entire day on either November 14th or 15th. Shooting can run really, really late.
- This is our third year entering this international movie festival, and last year we actually won a “Best of Genre: Romance” Award for our film, Side Swiped.
- Moostache Films cannot guarantee that this film will win an Oscar (but it probably, most definitely will). The pool filled with money is probably NOT going to happen though. Sad panda.
Okay, so if you’re still reading this you’re probably interested—awesome! You must be super good looking and smart and stuff, that must be fun.
Here’s the gist.
- On Friday, November 13th (ooh, scary) at 7:00 p.m. PDT, we’ll receive a movie genre that we’ll have to write a movie for. We’ll also get a character, a line of dialogue, and a prop that will all have to be in our movie. We’ll then have 72 hours to write, shoot, edit, and submit our 7 minute movie to compete against all the others. They have a panel of judges who then watch the movies, and give out awards to the best ones.
- This is our third time doing this, check out some of our movies below! We even won a Best of Genre last year, so we’d love to win more, you know—because we’re empty inside. Sniffle, sniffle.
- The priority here is to have fun. Everyone is a volunteer, no one is paid (but it doesn’t cost you anything either), and if you help make the movie in any way, you’ll get an IMDb credit! Not to mention, if we put together a great story it has a chance of getting screened at Cannes and Filmapalooza! Plus, you’ll either help make or end up being in a movie! How cool are you? Rhetorical question, you’re cool as shit—obviously.
Who can help?
- Everyone! We need actors, camera people, lighting folks, sound people, producers, production assistant, makeup, wardrobe, editors, designers, post production wizards, musicians—everything that goes into a movie!
- If you have no idea what you want to do but you want to help, that’s awesome too!
- JUST KNOW THIS: This is a super hectic and chaotic weekend. Times will change, we’ll run late, you’ll get hungry (but we’ll order a ton of pizza), you’ll be tired (but we’ll make coffee runs). This is not for the faint of heart. If this sounds interesting to you and you want to participate, awesome—just come in with an open mind, heart, and with little expectations.
- WE PROMISE to do everything we can to make this a fun experience for you, but most importantly, we promise to do everything we can to make a great short film.
In short, cotton-headed ninny muggins need not apply.
We’re so stoked you’re interested, thank you! Couple of things though:
- You’ll have to sign a release form to participate. If you’re under 18, you’ll need a parent to sign one.
- We prefer people who can be available on both days, potentially very late into both nights. If you can only make one day, please make sure to be available for the whole day.
- We have no script until VERY LATE Friday night, but as we write the script, we’ll be casting the movie and looking at photos and reels of the people who apply. We cannot guarantee that you’ll be in the movie, but we’ll do our very best to cast as many scenes as we can with extras to do it.
- Best way to get cast is to make sure you send us a head shot, a wide shot of your whole body, and either a reel of your work or a few links to clips or short movies you’re in.
Our Past Movies
Can’t show this one yet as it is still on the festival tour, but we won Best Romance for it during last year;s 72 hour film festival, yay! It’s about a couple being challenged by their friends to try a Tinder-esque mobile dating app called Swiper. (Genre: Romance)
We made The Big Calzone in less than 72 hours in 2013. It’s funny. It’s about a middle-aged man who signs-up for an MMA fight that he is in no way prepared for. (Genre: Martial Arts)
We made The Janitor in less than 48 hours in 2013 as well. It’s about a gangster who gives his boss his notice—because that’s always gone well in the past. (Genre: Gangster)
More About Us Stuff
Okay, I think that’s it!
Thanks so much for checking this out, I hope we get a chance to make movie magic together! Or just regular magic, because magic rocks.