Attracting High-End Clients
As a coach or consultant, of course you want to attract more clients.
But I think it’s even more important to set your sights on attracting more high-end clients.
Several years ago I was determined to transition from working with “average clients” to “high-end clients.” I spent many months researching and working on how to do this successfully.
Essentially, for years I had been taking on any client who wanted to work with me. But that never worked out as well as I’d hoped. I wanted to work with better clients, ones who were more committed to succeeding with their business and who were willing to pay me more to get results.
Below is what I learned and ultimately successfully implemented in my business of marketing coaching for independent professionals (such as business coaches, management consultants and corporate trainers).
First, I defined high-end clients in the following three ways:
1. They are “ideal clients.” That is, clients you can really make a difference with and who you love to work with. These are fun, smart, committed people.
2. They are “long-term clients.” These are clients with whom you can offer programs and services for a year or more, not just a session here and there.
3. They are “high-paying clients.” They understand the value you offer and are willing to pay you more than average clients will because they want the best and are committed to taking action.
I love working with high-end clients. In fact, they are the best clients to work with.
The advantages of working with high-end clients
1. Both you and your clients will experience more fulfillment in working together. This is no small thing. When the experience of working together is one of partnership and possibility, your work doesn’t feel like work. It’s more like an adventure.
2. By working long-term you will get to know and understand the needs of your clients much better. This often leads to even more long-term work or projects. And of course, you’ll earn more money than with short-term clients. I was successful in more than doubling my income this way.
3. When you charge more, you’ll feel that you are being valued for what you’re worth. You’ll be able to give better service and make a bigger impact, without feeling you are being taken advantage of.
4. When you’re working with high-end clients you don’t need as many clients. Doing coaching and consulting is hard work. It’s intensive work and can be draining. By increasing your fees and the length of time you work with clients you can work fewer hours while making a better income.
It’s really not much harder working with high-end clients than it is working with average clients.
So how do you attract more high end clients?
Well, all the marketing approaches I’ve taught over the years also apply to attracting high-end clients, but there are a few steps you must follow:
1. To attract high-end clients, you need to design high-end services or programs. It’s like selling a Mercedes instead of a Ford. And you need to put in the commitment, time and energy into developing high-end services and programs that will deliver higher-end results than you offered previously.
For me it was a combination of one-on-0ne coaching and consulting sessions, a series of lesson plans, online materials to study, step-by-step strategies, hands-on exercises and assignments, reports before each individual session and feedback between sessions via email. I also work with all my clients via Zoom video so it’s a more personal approach than by phone.
2. Your marketing messages, materials, marketing strategies and sales processes need to clearly communicate the message that you offer higher-end services. Perception is essential. Every impression you make should communicate: “I offer high quality services, pay attention to details, follow-up professionally and produce great results.”
I put a lot of work into my “online sales letter” that conveys everything my marketing coaching program entails. And I asked everyone who reads that letter to fill out a questionnaire to let me know about their situation, goals and marketing challenges. This way we understand a lot about each other before we even talk.
3. Then I offer a complimentary “Marketing Strategy Session” of an hour or more to see if there is a fit. I spend most of the time in that session, learning about them, about their business, what is working and what isn’t. I share ideas and success stories as appropriate, and then answer any questions they might have. I don’t really need to sell or convince, because once they have read my letter and shared about themselves they are already seriously considering working with me.
4. An essential element, of course, is how to get someone to your online sales letter in the first place. I accomplish that by sending emails to my eZine subscribers, and get traffic to my site (and new subscribers) through the hundreds of blog articles I have online.
I’ve also had great success in getting people to join my e-list through public talks or presentations. Once someone is on my list, I develop credibility and trust with actionable content and simply sharing myself authentically. Those subscribers become my best high-end clients.
This is something you can do. It’s not rocket science. It takes knowledge, a plan, commitment and a bias for action.
Where do you start with attracting high-end clients?
Here’s a simple checklist:
- Develop your high-end service or program. Get very clear on your message, the value, the content, and the structure.
- Write your web content, articles, and especially your online sales letter to clearly communicate what both you and your high-end services are all about. Focus more on “what you get” than “what I do.”
- Find the best promotional vehicles for your situation. And continue to build your e-list and content that you deliver by email and post online.
As they say, it’s as simple and as hard as that! It takes time, commitment, energy, persistence and a deep belief that what you’re offering provides the highest value to your clients.
Commit today and get started. Don’t wait for the proverbial “ideal conditions” because, believe me, they never come!
I’m now in the 32nd year in business as a Marketing Coach. I started before I had a computer and before the Internet was even an idea. With the online tools we have now, from email systems to blogs to Medium, you have the opportunity to build your list, your marketing platform and your high-end client list faster than ever before.
If you’d like to read some of my blog articles, much like this one, go here.
If you’d like to get my free Marketing Plan Workbook, go here.
And if you’d like to know more about my marketing coaching, go here.
I wish you all the success in the world with marketing your independent professional business and attracting more high-end clients.
I also encourage you to comment on this article, and if you like it, please click on the heart image, share with your network and follow me.