5 Things You need to Know About Dr. David A. Thomas
“I think the entire Morehouse family will be very excited about the appointment of President-Elect Thomas.” — Dr. Robert M. Franklin, President-Emeritus.
1. On Monday October 16, 2017, Morehouse College announced the appointment of their 12th President, Dr. David A. Thomas. This comes after the Board of Trustees decided not to renew the contract of President John Silvanus Jr., back in January. Thomas will assume office Jan 1, 2018.
2. President Thomas has 30 years of higher education experience. Thomas has a Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior Studies and a Master of Philosophy in Organizational Behavior degree, from Yale University. He also has a Master of Organizational Psychology degree from Columbia University and a Bachelor of Administrative Sciences degree from Yale College.
“I am humbled and honored to be appointed as the next President of Morehouse College,” said Thomas. “What draws me to Morehouse is that I see a connection between what I value and what this college has always represented — the mission to develop men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service, and to be stewards of black culture and community. There is no place like Morehouse on the planet.”
3. Thomas served as Dean of Georgetown McDonough from 2011 to 2016. Thomas has served as a professor and administrator at Harvard University, and as an assistant professor at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business. Beyond working in education, he serves as a member of the Board of Directors of DTE Energy, the American Cross, and the Pose Foundation.
4. Thomas’ plans for Morehouse is to launch a major capital campaign to increase funds for student scholarships, and other cosmetic needs. He plans to expand Morehouse’s international outreach, and further develop future leaders who are intellectual, spiritually minded and capable of creating change that makes the world more just.
5. Dr. David A. Thomas is Morehouse’s first Non-Alumnus president in 50 years. The last president who was not an alumnus was Dr. Benjamin Elijah Mays, Morehouse’s sixth President. May’s was a mentor for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
“Dr. Mays was the best President that we ever had. He did not go to Morehouse, yet his influence put Morehouse on the map nationally. When I was Chairman of the Board, I did all that I could to try and get a candidate who would be another Dr. Mays. This is a great opportunity to have someone with Dr. Thomas’ experience bring his outside view to Morehouse.”- Willie “Flash” Davis ’56, Chairman Emeritus, Morehouse College Board of Trustees