Longest run of my life: my stats, method, and gear
Yesterday’s training run for the Disney Wine and Dine half marathon was the farthest I’ve ever run in my life.
Here are my Fitbit stats: 12.1 miles in 2 hours 26 minutes.
Considering I’m not a “runner” I’m pretty proud of this. I’m now confident that I can complete my first half marathon upright, which is my one and only goal.
I followed the 2-minute run, 1-minute walk Galloway method.
My strategy for the 12-miler was as follows:
- Run to the gas station 3 miles from my house.
- Buy a small fountain drink (half orange Powerade, half water) and take an extended walk-break.
- Run back to my house.
- Take a short break and drink some more half and half sports drink and water (I have to dilute sports drinks these days because I find them too sweet)
- Repeat steps 1–3.
I found it helpful to break this massive run up into four 3-mile segments instead of doing a huge loop or something. It helped me structure the breaks and mentally psych myself up for the next leg of the journey.
My running gear:
- Tech shirt and running shorts
- New Balance Men’s 1080V7 running shoes
- Apple AirPods (excellent for running btw, once you use these, you’ll never go back to normal headphones)
- YesBelt running belt (way better than any armband or pouch I’ve tried) for carrying my iPhone, credit card, and AirPods case
I’m feeling much better about this upcoming half marathon now. 3 weeks to go!
Follow me on Instagram for daily stats, tips and motivation:
Thanks for reading! To show my appreciation, here are a couple of health tracking goodies for ya:
- The Google spreadsheet I use to track my own health stats. Just save a copy or download as an Excel file (no subscription required, please enjoy!)
- My weekly newsletter where I share my personal stats and most practical, actionable tips to help you on your own health journey. Sign up below:
Mr. Health Tracker - Weekly stats, tips, and motivation to help you number crunch your way to better health....www.getrevue.co