Professional database certifications provided for FREE!
Leading database technologies are providing certification exams for free!
Professional certification recognizes your knowledge and experience and enhances your professional credibility. Many students and developers cannot get certified since they cannot pay the certifications exams fees. After a little research on the internet, I found several database certification exams available for free by leading database providers in the market.
In this article, I will share with you some professional certification exams you can pass for FREE!
Neo4j Certified Professional
Neo4j is the most popular graph database management system. It is very performant and guarantees high scalability, making it used by many leading companies such as Microsoft, HP, IBM, Adobe, CISCO, and eBay.
The Neo4j Certified Professional exam tests you in using Neo4j 4.x in the following areas:
- Neo4j property graph model
- Neo4j components used for development
- Cypher queries
- Creating nodes and relationships
- Importing data
To prepare for this exam, you only need to take the free courses provided by the Neo4j Graph Academy.
Fore more information and FAQ about this certification, you can refer to the following link: Become a Neo4j Certified Professional — GraphAcademy
Neo4j 4.0 Certified
Neo4j 4.0 certification is another certification provided by Neo4j to prove your knowledge of the new features released in Neo4j 4.0
The Neo4j Certification exam tests you in the following areas relevant to Neo4j 4.x in Production:
- New features of Cypher
- Multi-database features
- Role-based Access Control (RBAC)
To take this exam, you should first pass the Neo4j Certified Professional exam and take some additional free courses offered by the Neo4j Graph Academy.
Fore more information and FAQ about this certification, you can refer to the following link: Become Certified for Neo4j 4.x — GraphAcademy
Neo4j Graph Data Science Certified
Neo4j Graph Data Science certification was released recently, to highlight the ability to use Neo4j to execute Graph algorithms.
The Neo4j Graph Data Science Certification exam tests you in the following areas:
- General use of the Neo4j Graph Data Science Library.
- Graph Data Science workflow used during analysis.
- Using specific graph algorithms.
To take this exam, you should know Cypher query language and the Neo4j Data science library. Neo4j Graph academy provided several courses and documentation to help you prepare for this exam.
Fore more information and FAQ about this certification, you can refer to the following link: Become Certified for Neo4j Graph Data Science — GraphAcademy
ArangoDB certified Professional
ArangoDB is a multi-model NoSQL database management system that can create and model documents, graphs, and key-value pairs.
The ArangoDB Certified Professional is a free certification. You can take the exam multiple times. It consists of 50 questions, covering topics like:
- General knowledge about ArangoDB
- Query composition
- Performance tuning
- Data modeling
To prepare for this exam, you can enroll in a free Udemy course created by ArangoDB and refer to some other official tutorials.
Fore more information and FAQ about this certification, you can refer to the following link: ArangoDB Certified Professional — ArangoDB
MongoDB Certified Developer/DBA
As described on their website, MongoDB is a general-purpose, document-based, distributed database built for modern application developers and the cloud era. It is used by many leading companies such as SEGA, Google, Adobe, SAP, and eBay.
MongoDB offers two paid certification exams:
- MongoDB Certified Developer associate
- MongoDB Certified Database Administrator associate
Being a part of the GitHub Student Developer Pack, MongoDB offered the MongoDB student pack giving the ability for students to benefit from:
- Using MongoDB Compass (the GUI for MongoDB)
- Taking a free certification exam
- 200$ in MongoDB Atlas credits (the global cloud database service for applications built on MongoDB)
To take a free certification exam, first, you must have been accepted into the GitHub Student Program. Besides, you should complete one of the two learning paths provided by MongoDB University:
- Developer learning path: Learning the fundamentals of designing and building applications using MongoDB
- Database Administrator learning path: Learning how to administer MongoDB databases.
Fore more information and FAQ about this certification, you can refer to the following link: MongoDB Student Pack
Redis Certified Developer
Redis is an open source (BSD licensed), in-memory data structure store, used as a database, cache, and message broker. It is one of the leading NoSQL key-value database in the market.
Redis has a Professional Certification program at no cost!
There are three prerequisite courses that must be successfully completed before enrolling in the Developer Certification Program:
- Introduction to Redis Data Structures
- Redis Streams
- Any other elective Redis University class of your choice.
The Redis Certified Developer exam is a timed, 90-minute multiple-choice test. You can schedule your exam at any time and take it from any location, including your own home.
You can learn more about the Redis Certified Developer Program from the official certification page.
DataStax Certified Cassandra Developer/Administrator
DataStax is the company behind the massively scalable, highly available, cloud-native NoSQL database built on Apache Cassandra, a leading open-source NoSQL column-oriented database. While Apache Cassandra is free and open-source, DataStax Cassandra has several additional features used at an enterprise level.
There are three certification exams:
- The Developer Certification is designed for professionals that use Apache Cassandra clusters to manage data. This includes roles such as application developers, data architects, database designers, and database administrators.
- The Administrator Certification is designed for professionals who install, configure, manage and tune the performance of Apache Cassandra clusters, such as database administrators, DevOps engineers and Site Reliability Engineers (SREs).
- The K8ssandra Certification is designed to up-level your DBA know-how to SRE skills. The topics covered in this exam include Docker, basic Kubernetes constructs, Sidecar, secrets, port-forwarding, helm, ingress, storage, Reaper repair, Medusa backup, K8ssandra, the cass-operator, Prometheus metrics collection, and Grafana metrics display.
While all three exams cost 145$, DataStax offer a free exam voucher for who finish one of the available DataStax academy learning paths:
- DataStax Academy Apache Cassandra™ Administrator Path.
- DataStax Academy Apache Cassandra™ Developer Path.
Once you accomplish a learning path, you should email email@example.com to request a voucher.
You can learn more about DataStax Cassandra certifications from their official website.
Other free certifications
Besides the certification exams I listed in this article, Big Tech companies offer free certification exams on specific occasions. As an example, Microsoft Ignite Cloud Skills challenge offer a free certification exam for the one who learn a cloud skill in 30 days in a specific month each year:
- Microsoft Ignite Cloud Skills Challenge 2020: Free Certification Exam | Microsoft Docs
- Microsoft Ignite Cloud Skills Challenge — November 2021: Free Certification Exam | Microsoft Docs
Side Note: Still in the remaining months, completing the Ignite Cloud Skills challenge will give you a 50% discount.
Besides, Oracle announced this year that they are offering a free certification exam for the users who complete a learning path starting September 2021 till 31 December 2021:
If you know of some additional free certification exams provided by TECH companies, you can add them to the GitHub repository we created.