Submit Your Story to My Davidson
Immersed in a research project? Enjoying team practice or rehearsals? Making travel plans? We want to know what you’re up to as a student. My Davidson is a place for you to share your student experience, on campus or away.
In addition to being featured on this blog, your story will be shared with alumni, prospective students, and the broader community via social media.
We also hope that you will use your published work in My Davidson to advance your career aspirations should you wish to share it with prospective employers.
How to Submit
Please complete the My Davidson Submission Form.
Note that your story will need to be attached as a Word document, and photos should be attached individually.
Suggestions for Entries
- The sky’s the limit. You don’t have to be traveling abroad or starting an internship to submit a story. We want to hear about your favorite clubs, moments of growth, and exciting social experiences at Davidson, too.
- Consider stand-out moments, whether it’s a class project you loved, a friendship you’ve formed, or something else entirely.
- Avoid academic jargon. Don’t feel you have to treat this like an academic assignment — write in the first person; we want to hear from you about your experience. Remember, you want to make it fun for someone else to read.
- Be descriptive. Any detail you can provide that helps the reader get a better sense of your experience is great — an anecdote that illustrates your point, the colors, smells, sounds.
- Not a writer? Submit a photo essay or vlog! Storytelling is not one-size-fits-all, and if you have a knack for photography or vlogging, we want your experiences represented too.
- More than one post? No problem. For example, you could choose to submit one before you study abroad — perhaps explaining why you chose a particular program and what you’re most excited or nervous about — and another during or after your time abroad on moments with your host family or an experience or interaction that will stay with you.
- Write in the first person
- Aim for anywhere between 250 and 500 words and no more than 1,000 words.
- Please include photos to go along with your words.
- Submission text should be attached Word document (.doc or .docx). If you write in Google Docs, download it as a Microsoft Word document [ File > Download > Microsoft Word (.docx) ] to attach to this form.
Photos & Video
To make your story stand out, you can provide us with photos and video to include with your story. At minimum, a headshot of you is needed for each post.
- For photo essays: Provide 10–15 images with captions, along with a short introduction and conclusion.
- For vlogs: Videos should not be any longer than 5 minutes. Please also include a short introduction.
- Attach photos and videos as individual files when you submit your story.
- Include your name as part of any photo or video file names that are uploaded.
- Please consider photo quality as you submit. Large photos work better to avoid pixelation.
- Please ensure you have consent from your photo or video subjects. Only submit photos you have taken and have rights to.
All submissions will be reviewed by College Communications editorial staff for spelling, grammar, length, and for issues pertaining to libel. The editor reserves the right to determine whether material submitted for publication shall be posted. Should any questions arise, all reasonable efforts will be made to contact the writer.
The opinions expressed in this publication are those of the individual student writers and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Davidson College.