My Selection — The Alchemist
This book dazzling in simplicity and wisdom is written by Paulo Coelho
It is about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of treasure buried in the Pyramids.
It revolves around the main idea of how important our dreams are and can be. Living your dreams is the way of living a happy and contented life. But a few go after their actual dreams due to the fear of change and failure.
It has inspired millions of people with the wise lessons the boy learns alongside his journey towards his dream.
These are my favorite and the most popular percepts from this book.
1.“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
Fear of failure is greater than the failure itself. Any new pursuit requires entering into the unknown— that’s scary. But with any great risk comes great reward. The experiences we gain in pursuing our dream will make it all worthwhile.
2. “‘Why do we have to listen to our hearts?’ the boy asked when they had made camp that day.
‘Because wherever your heart is where you’ll find your treasure,” said the alchemist.”
Your heart always directs you to the path of your dreams.
3. “ People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams because they feel that they don’t deserve them or that they’ll be unable to achieve them.”
Self-doubt stops most people from taking action and living their dreams.
4. “‘Why don’t people’s hearts tell them to continue to follow their dreams?’ the boy asked.
‘Because that’s what makes a heart suffer most and hearts don’t like to suffer.’”
Our hearts fear the change. And with dreams there come a lot of sacrifices that we have to make. So our hearts don’t want us to suffer that’s why they make us fearful towards our goals sometimes.
5. “Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.”
When we start pursuing our dream, we get little successes, which motivates us to move forward. But till the end, it is the perseverance and consistency which takes us to the success of our dream.
6. “Because I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man.”
All possibilities lie in this present moment. An action taken at the present moment will define our life.
7. “They were seeking the treasure of their Personal Legend, without wanting actually to live out the Personal Legend.”
Live every part of your journey towards your goal no matter how hard it is. Expecting the result without actually putting any effort sincerely towards the goal will not get anyone anything.
8. “When each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.”
Life can easily become stagnant, mundane, and monotonous, but that changes depending on what we choose to see. Practicing Gratitude helps to see the good in each day.
9. “That’s what alchemists do. They show that, when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.”
Becoming a better version of yourself creates a ripple effect that benefits everything around us: our family, our friends, and our lifestyle.
10. “‘There is only one way to learn. It’s through action’, said the alchemist.”
Everything we need to know we learn by taking action toward our dream. Reading and learning things only become helpful when we actually start applying them by taking action.
Thanks for reading.