Conscious Fashion Tech Update | Sept 2019 | Fashion Week is EXPIRED
Since we’re in the middle of the old fashion industry’s “hot time of the year”, aka fashion weeks season, I’m not gonna bombard you with my own updates and articles and go straight to the point:
The shit is getting real, more people in the fashion industry are waking up and finally, acknowledge the issues in the environment caused by our irresponsibility as professionals in our field and the general issue of overconsumption and mindlessly chasing fashion trends. Aren’t you bored yet of the old fashion? I am. The whole idea of #NYFW is expired for me, a very long time ago.
WE HAVE TO STOP SUPPORTING IT NOW and JOIN THE NEW PARADIGM.
I want to make myself crystal clear and ask you to STOP SUPPORTING the fashion week’s buzz and start SPEAKING OUT and sharing content that has to do with the NEW fashion paradigm, for example showcasing fashion as ETHICALLY CREATED ART, as CIRCULAR and REGENERATIVE SERVICE, or as MEMORABLE and ETHICAL EXPERIENCE.
The time is NOW. To ACT, to be VOCAL and to STOP supporting OLD INDUSTRY. Are you in? More action-packed articles, events, and insights to come from my side in the months ahead. Meanwhile, follow me on Instagram for more eye-opening facts, discoveries, and inspiration. Also, check out the New Industry brand edit at the end of this newsletter. ENJOY and SUPPORT THE NEW FASHION INDUSTRY. Stop playing the old game — or this will bring us to self-destruction.
Oh, and stop by FashionHub’s “Future of Fashion Conference” event on Sept.19th — I will be moderating “Sustainability is a need, not a trend” panel, come hear me channel the Truth about our industry. Use promo code balancedfashion for 20% discount.
NEW INDUSTRY NEWS
- It’s too late for ethical fashion — i-D
- This is what Extinction Rebellion’s fashion boycott is all about — Sportswear International
- Stacey Dooley: ‘We Have To Recognise There Are Consequences To What We Buy And Wear’ — Grazia
- Big names unite for sustainable fashion impact — Drapers Online
- Fashion for Good launches Good Fashion Fund — FashionUnited UK
- The Fight Against Fast Fashion, and Solutions for a Sustainable Society — Graphic
- Is Celebrity Marketing Making Sustainable Fashion More Confusing? — Forbes
- Can fashion keep its cool … and help save the planet? — The Guardian
- G7 Fashion Pact: Sounds good, but… — Sportswear International
- The Next Big Thing and Why Fashion Can’t Resist It — WWD
- 150 Brands Have Joined Emmanuel Macron’s “Fashion Pact” to Make the Fashion Industry More Sustainable — Vogue
FASHION AS ART
- The Rise Of Responsible Luxury — Entrepreneur
- Who Made My Clothes: How Gen Z ‘woke’ up luxury brands like Chanel and LV to fur-free and sustainable practices — South China Morning Post
- Slow Fashion: Developing Artisanship for a Sustainable Fashion Industry — Eco Warrior Princess
- How Sustainability Became a Luxury Value — GQ Magazine
- Sustainability in Focus #weseathrough with Marina Testino — Flaunt
FASHION AS SERVICE
- Green generations: Millennials and Gen Z change the fabric of fashion — DigitalCommerce360
- Data and the dress: what Christopher Wylie can teach fashion — The Guardian
- There’s never been a better time — or more need — to buy your clothes used — Quarzy
- Second-Hand Is The Answer To Sustainable Fashion, Says Oxfam — Forbes
- New and smarter textiles race to the future of fashion — Big Think
- Can the fast fashion business model embrace sustainability? — FashionUnited
- 5 wild organic materials that could transform the fashion industry — Fast Company
- I Spent a Summer Friday Volunteering at Fabscrap, New York’s Largest Fashion Recycling Organization — Vogue
- Inside the wild, shockingly lucrative world of sneaker reselling — GQ
- How you can help make sustainable fashion more affordable — Harpers Bazaar
FASHION AS EXPERIENCE
- Digital fashion: Why the industry should embrace e-sports and gaming — Sportswear International
- 4 technologies aiding in-store navigation — The Current Daily
- Beyond the pop-up: These are the best retail environments of 2019 — Fast Company
- Analytics are reshaping fashion’s old-school instincts — Vogue Business
OLD INDUSTRY NEWS
- What’s the Carbon Footprint of a Fashion Show? No One Really Knows — Vogue.com
- 5 ways 5G will impact retail — The Current Daily
- ‘The odds are not in their favor’: Forever 21’s chances at a post-bankruptcy future — Glossy
- 6 rules for retail innovation — The Current Daily
- Markets tumble in light of trade wars and poor retail results — Business of Fashion
TOP EVENTS in NYC:
Monday, September 9th
11:00am — 5:00pm VR & AR Tech Summit (Future Tech Week)
The VR Tech Summit is the world’s most exclusive event featuring VR tech investors, entrepreneurs and influencers coming together to address the world’s greatest challenges via VR technology. The summit also serves to teach fundamentals of VR technology, leading applications of VR, and startup development strategies via exclusive workshop sessions with award winning experts. The program concludes with a high profile call to action VIP gathering speakers and partners. Price: Free Location: Microsoft 11 Time Square
In addition to exhibiting the ROBOTIC DRESSES made with our 360Fash Tech “Robotic Dress” Kits at NYFW, there will be Workshops by the changemakers in the Fashion/Technology & Entrepreneurship industries, Activations, Photo Shooting Area, Interviews and more… Price: $10 — $150 Location: KNOTEL, 33 West 17th Street
Tuesday, September 10th
11:00am — 4:00pm Blockchain Tech Summit (Future Tech Week)
The Blockchain Tech Summit is the world’s most exclusive event featuring hundreds of entrepreneurs, investors, pioneers, and creatives under one roof to address humanity’s greatest challenges via blockchain technology. The summit also serves to teach fundamentals of Blockchain technology, leading applications of Blockchain technology, and startup development strategies via exclusive workshop sessions with award winning experts. Price: Free Location: Microsoft 11 Time Square
Once each month, Re: Source Library invites a sustainable textile vendor to present their materials, fibers and/or processes. Join them for September’s Textile Tuesday with Queen of Raw in their new space in NYC’s Garment District. Price: $5-$10 Location: Re:Source Library, 520 8th Avenue, Suite 1202
Thursday, September 12th
10:00am — 5:00pm Ai Tech Summit (Future Tech Week)
The Ai Tech Summit is the world’s most exclusive event featuring Ai tech investors, entrepreneurs and influencers coming together to address the world’s greatest challenges via Ai technology. The summit also serves to teach fundamentals of Ai technology, leading applications of Ai, and startup development strategies via exclusive workshop sessions with award winning experts. Price: Free Location: SAP America, Inc., 10 Hudson Yards
8:00pm — 11:00pm FASHION WEEK: Eco-Streetwear Debut + Comedy
“Sustainable Fashion is Hilarious” is Zero Waste Daniel’s latest New York Fashion Week (NYFW) program. Daniel’s comedy routine and one-of-a-kind eco-streetwear are part of his collaboration with the NYC Department of Sanitation’s foundation. Daniel is leveraging decommissioned Sanitation Department attire and hard-to-recycle materials to create his latest fashion line. Price: $20 Location: The Ace Hotel — NoMad, 20 West 29th Street
Wednesday, September 18th
10:00am — 1:00pm Google Fashion Marketing Summit Fall ‘19
Learn about new technics in the old industry.. Maybe this perspective can help you shape your view on the New Fashion Industry. Price: Free Location: Soho Grand Hotel, 310 W Broadway,
Thursday, September 19th
FashionHub “Future of Fashion Conference” (I’ll be moderating “Sustainability is a need, not a trend” panel)
FashionHub is brought to you by Elucid Magazine. Join us to learn how technology is becoming the catalyst for personalization of fashion & beauty solutions and discover the latest new products from innovative brands. FashionHub comprises fashion show, speakers panel led by experts in the space, digital presentations and a tabletop expo by leading brands. It is an event and opportunity to connect with the creative experts and forward-thinking fashion & beauty tech community. Price: $43 — $85, use promo code balancedfashion for 20% discount. Location: The Clemente Center 107 Suffolk St.
Friday, September 20th
3:00pm — 6:00pm NYC Fair Trade Coalition Sample Sale
Join the NYC Fair Trade Coalition community for an interactive look at the brands putting ethics first. Grab samples, past season classics, and beautiful ethical fashions. Price: Free Location: WeWork, 1460 Broadway, Suite 4053
Tuesday, September 24th
1:00pm — 7:00pm Making Global Goals Local Business — USA
In partnership with the UN Global Compact, Making Global Goals Local Business — USA will be Global Compact Network USA’s next regional meetup. This half-day event will be convened on the side of the UN General Assembly on September 24 at SAP Next-Gen Innovation Lab as a high-level conference featuring corporate sustainability leaders and UN representatives. Price: $266.85, Free for members Location: SAP Next-Gen, 10 Hudson Yards, 347 10th Avenue
Saturday, October 18 — Sunday 19
The Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show features New York City’s greatest collection of vintage clothing, accessories and antique textiles from the last century and more. Discover high styles from the last century that inspire today’s fashion trends! The Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show is the ultimate vintage showcase, which brings together over 80 of the country’s top vintage clothing, accessories and antique textile dealers under one roof. So, come join the hunt where top designers get their inspiration! You’re sure to find timeless and beautifully constructed clothing & antique textiles. The collection that 100 years of design built. Price: $15 Location: Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W 18th st
NEW INDUSTRY BRANDS EDIT — FASHION AS ART
JAHNKOY — Maria’s work draws upon found materials and ready-made clothing to illustrate her ideas around consumerism, racial and cultural inequality, crafts and the political and economic restraints that surround it.
Exquisitely Joy — conscious fashion brand that creates art pieces from recycled and repurposed garments and fabrics that are intended to elevate the wearer and create a magical experience for the environment these art pieces are showcased.
Sophie Cochevelou — sees design objects as an interactive performance where people are invited to take her dress apart and rearrange it as she was wearing it. Sophie explores the status of women’s bodies in post-modern society through performance art.
ALLPAMAMAS —Allpamama means mother earth. We are her daughters. Incredible women behind this brand create art gallery-worthy sustainable clothing with the spirit of the Andes.
I was a Sari — Taking an eco-ethical approach to fashion, I was a Sari is placing pre-loved Indian saris at the heart of a new style, and empowering women artisans from Mumbai to become the designers of their own futures.
Katysheva — Russian brand creating clothing artworks that invite you to enter a сharming world of pristine pagan magic mixed with peculiar nostalgia. The brand is inspired by Russian diverse and rich heritage and deep identity analysis of a Russian woman.
LES’ — fantasy world-inspired seasonless artistic brand helping us rediscover a child within us and come back to the world of fairy tales and magic, where anything is possible.
Ab[Screenwear] — a brand that weaves and integrates the new fashion industry by combining the old and the new, the digital and physical, the high couture and simple. This brand creates “contemporary bespoke” experience IRL and online by crafting versatile luxe pieces for people to collect.
RAKSHAMASHA by Marria Roslova — avant-garde aesthetics powered by upcycled PVC banners and other plastic materials used for construction, promotion, and decoration of spaces for events. Sustainability is the cornerstone of this brand: a reality where humanity and nature coexist in harmony, guided and enabled by scientific endeavor.