Out of nowhere, the new disruptor — Corona has impacted our plans deeply as well. While we were set to open a 200 girls residential campus, which in itself was a hard task — now we are in the queue of getting more clarity on how things emerge.
However, one thing is clear there’s no stopping us, especially in these times. There is an even stronger need for a platform like Navgurukul to exist and expand. Times like these further stress how the short-term skilling courses hardly alleviate peoples’ financial levels and leave them voiceless and at the bottom of the pyramid of the wealth.
There’s a need to radically reimagine the skills, the new jobs and how people are equipped for them. Coupled with the operational challenges, this may be harder than ever, or with the growing acceptance of e-learning it may get a little easier.
- We are actively partnering with new organisations for admission of new students. The students can join us once the lock down is over and till then will be provided remote learning classes. Please do recommend us female students or organisations working with young women who would like to continue their education.
- Our campuses are still functioning as there was no way we could have asked all our students to go back to their homes in this time of chaos. Proper isolation and social distancing is followed to ensure that the campus are absolutely safe.
- We have added some of our most dedicated alumni in our team and are working with them. This is critical to our vision of organic growth and a much bigger role of our students to run NG.
- We are still working on admissions for 200+ girls. However, due to the Corona operations have been significantly affected and hence some delays are expected.
- Through a partnership with Give Foundation, we were able to do direct beneficiary transfers to about 50 families of our students.
- Our alumni continue to support us through donations during this time as well. One of our alumnus donated 27,500 INR last month.
- Most of our alumni continue to hold on to their jobs, and few who were laid off are preparing harder.
- We are able to get jobs for the students who are able to finish the training, albeit the time that it takes to get a job has almost tripled.
- We are using this time to upgrade our technology and build a capacity to be able to teach a large volume of students through online e-classes. We are doing whatever we can to embrace the changes owing to Corona.
- We have started receiving monthly donation pledges. We aim to get about 100 monthly pledges over a period of next few months. Pledge here. You can read about it in more details here.
The Bad and the Ugly
- There are a lot of changes and thus corresponding work to adjust to some of the changes required by Corona. If anyone wishes to volunteer, please do write to me.
- The times itself are very troubling, and while it makes us will stronger but has impacted our own mental health and makes it harder sometimes to push ourselves further.
- Getting response from other organisations to mobilize girls has become harder due to them also responding to this crisis in their own ways.
We need your help.
- We need you to connect us with organisations who can help us identify such girls. Girls who are deserving, who are just waiting to thrive yet do not have the means to pursue higher education. Girls with age 16+ from all over the country, irrespective of education backgrounds, courses that they may have chosen. Please connect heartily.
- Volunteer and donate.
Together we can make this easier for the ones who aren’t privileged like we are. Take care and do reach out to someone if you feel low.