Tools of the trade 2017
A developer’s tool stack is something usually very personal (spaces for indent always), but I decided to share this so that I could keep a personal record of how this changes over time.
Let’s start with the hardware:
- Macbook Pro 2017 (13“)
- 27" 4K Monitor (LG)
- Mouse Logitech MX Master
I mainly develop with PHP so that of course influences my current development stack on the software side:
- IDE: PHPStorm | Visual Studio Code | occasional use of Vim.
- For command line: iTerm2 with Oh My Zsh (https://gist.github.com/kevin-smets/8568070). MacOSX built in Terminal defaults are horrible and decided to pick something that would look better overall.
- Homebrew to manage packages on MacOSX.
- Environment based on Docker containers.
- Spectacle App for managing windows. MacOSX is pretty horrible in this regard.
- Browser: Google Chrome. Safari is used to house the Slack web app. Desktop Slack is horrible (for memory consumption).
- For DB management I use two different applications. MySQL Workbench for production environments and Sequel Pro for dev/local.
That’s the basics. There are a few more apps that are mostly there for experimentation.