LET’S DO SOME READING
Starting An Exclusive Reading Club for Writers
If you are struggling with poor stats, this is your opportunity to boost them
What does an artist want the most? Appreciation for their art, yes?! It may be a painting sale for a painter, a packed auditorium for a singer, or a sold-out show for anyone in the movie business.
Writing is art too. Yet, we know it’s the least appreciated of all. Nothing brings more joy to a writer than to be read. Sadly, reading is not the entertainment everyone looks forward to in today’s Netflix life.
The general view on Medium is that there aren’t enough “pure readers” on the platform. That’s where the concept of a writer’s community comes into play where writers support each other.
Suite 1984 Publishing wants to take a step in that direction.
We are pleased to announce the launch of an exclusive invitation-only reading club for our writers. Will it work? We are confident it will, provided we get adequate support from the club’s members.
How will it work?
- At this time, we will cap the number of club members to twenty. Depending on its success, we are open to increasing this number in the future.
- Each member must submit one article every week to the reading club by EOD Friday.
- Out of the twenty articles received every week, we will publish ten articles on Saturday and ten on Sunday at 8 AM NY time on First In, First Out [FIFO] basis. You may make your submission anytime during the week, but we will NOT publish them on weekdays.
- Members should submit their best work only to the reading club. It must be a brand-new article that hasn’t been published before.
- The submissions to the reading club must either be a personal memoir, personal or humor essay, music memoir, or a sports piece. Please check our submission guidelines for the respective pubs.
- The article should NOT be more than 6 min long in reading time. If it is more than 6 minutes, we will ask you to trim it down.
- Members must NOT promote their other stories in these articles to be fair to other club members. Our editors will take out any such promotions before publishing.
- We will NOT send any weekly posts to remind the members of their commitment to the club. The onus is on the members to keep the engagement active. We suggest each member reserves two hours on their calendar every week, as per their convenience.
- Each member will be required to read the articles from other nineteen writers, clap fifty times and leave a thoughtful comment. If a writer is not receiving support on their pieces, they may report it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If any member fails to fulfill their commitment for two consecutive weeks, we will replace them with a new member.
- Any disrespectful comments will not be tolerated and will result in expulsion from the club.
- We don’t want this to be a lifetime commitment for anyone. After every two months, we will refresh the reading club by inducting new members and the old members will be retired.
- While the retired members will not be able to submit to the reading club, they will still be able to make submissions to all other Suite 1984 publications. The retired members can continue to read the articles published in the reading club and support the new club members.
How can I become a member?
- First, please re-read the rules above and make sure you understand them.
- If you are not already a writer for Suite 1984 publications, please ensure your register to become a writer with us first by following the instructions in this post.
- If all the rules are acceptable to you, please fill out the form at the end of this post. We, respectfully, ask you not to apply if you are already a member of some other read for read club on Medium OR have established reader base giving you an average of 20 reads per article.
- We will review your application, work, and engagement level on Medium. If selected, we will add you as a writer to the club, and we will notify you via email.
- You must make your weekly submission to the publication “Suite 1984 Reading Club.” Each member must give the reading club a follow to avoid missing out on notifications.
- If you fail to submit an article for two consecutive weeks, we will replace you with a new member.
- We do NOT send any rejection emails. If you do not get an acceptance email from us, it doesn’t imply rejection. We probably reached our cap and will consider your application for future opportunities.
- We plan to kick off our first batch of the reading club on June 1, 2022. The existing members will be retired, and new members will get inducted every two months, thereafter.
We hope members of our reading club will use this platform to network with other members to build their reader base.
Become a member
Please fill out the form below if you want to become a member.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to drop them in the comments below. We look forward to collaborating with you on this initiative.
Suite 1984 Publishing Editorial Board