Mobility for a better world — Porsche competition for sustainable mobility
Digitization is setting the pace at full speed and is significantly changing our life. Shaping the future of mobility and sports cars means bringing tradition and values together with innovative technologies and new product ideas on a sustainable basis. Taking a responsible and trustworthy approach to people, cities, wheels and society is important to change the future for the better.
Porsche launches idea competition for sustainable mobility
“Mobility for a better world” is an idea competition by Porsche at the interface of technology, mobility and sustainability and deals with the question of our visions of mobility for the future. In the four categories “People”, “Wheels”, “Cities” and “Trust”, creative ideas and solutions — regardless of their degree of maturity — can now be submitted by start-ups, students, developers but also individuals from all over the world.
A total of 20,000 euros, pioneering educational packages and concrete development support in cooperation with the Porsche Digital Lab and the APX Accelerator Programme await the winner or winning team.
The submission deadline for ideas is 30 August 2019; the winners will be announced during Porsche Sustainability Week in October this year.
Strong partners for a better tomorrow
The university partner of the competition is CODE Berlin, a private university for the digital pioneers of tomorrow. Further partner is APX, the Accelerator of Porsche and Axel Springer. With founder and growth expertise, APX supports start-ups in the early stages of their company foundation and accelerates their development. The Porsche Digital Lab concentrates on testing new technologies with a focus on artificial intelligence (AI), blockchain and the Internet of Things and acts as the technological partner of the competition. Media partner of the ideas competition for sustainable mobility is EDISON, the platform for New Mobility and Smart Living.
More information on the Porsche “Mobility for a better world” competition can be found in the Porsche Newsroom. Please find Terms and Conditions for Participation below.
Terms and Conditions for Participation
MOBILITY FOR A BETTER WORLD
- The Competition is a developer and startup contest regarding innovations in the field of automotive, the future of cities, trust, mobility and sustainability. The Competition is organized and initiated by Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG (the “Initiator” or “Porsche”).
- The Competition is directed to individuals or teams of developers, students and startups who are asked to participate in the Competition by registering and submitting their ideas and products to the Competition in accordance with these Terms and Conditions for Participation (the “Terms”). Participation in the Competition constitutes acceptance of the Terms.
- The Competition is open to both individuals and teams. Eligible for participation are all natural persons of the age of majority in the jurisdiction of their habitual residence except for:
- Current employees of Porsche or any direct or indirect wholly or majority owned subsidiaries of Porsche during their working time;
- Persons directly involved in the organization and execution of the Competition.
2. Participation requires a valid e-mail address and completion of the registration process on the Competition website. All registered persons meeting the eligibility criteria set out above are considered participants of the Competition (the “Participants”). In case of team participations each member of the team needs to register as set out above and needs to fulfill the eligibility criteria.
3. There is no admission fee to be paid or product to be purchased by a Participant in order to participate in the Competition.
4. If the Participant is an employee of a corporation, government agency, or an academic institution, the Participant ensures that its participation in the Competition complies with any policies the corporation, agency, or institution the Participant is an employee of may have regarding a participation in contests of this type. If the Initiator has reason to believe that any of those policies are violated by a Participant participating in the Competition, the Initiator reserves the right to exclude the Participant from the Competition or from receiving a prize at any time. The Initiator does not assume any responsibility for any disputes arising out of or in connection with the Participant’s participation in the Competition that may arise between the Participant and its employer.
SUBMISSION OF CONTRIBUTIONS
- The Participants shall develop a prototype or a concrete idea of their product (new developments or already existing developments, e.g. apps, products, services) (the “Product”) within the scope of the use cases described by the Initiator. A team can contribute to more than one use case.
- A Participant’s contribution to the Competition (the “Contribution”) shall comprise
- the Product or a link to the Product/the idea;
- a video presentation of the Product (max. 60 seconds), explaining and demonstrating the functionality of the Product, its technical architecture, the way the tools are used, and why the Product should win the Competition; and
- a written summary (in English, max. 2,000 words), images and optional technical details, URL to source code, presentation slides, or other material supporting the Contribution.
3. Contributions must be submitted in English language and comply with the requirements set out in the Terms.
4. Participants shall submit their Contributions until 30th of August 2019, 24:00 CET, at the latest (“Submission Period”) via the submission process detailed on the Competition website. Any Contributions submitted after expiration of the Submission Period are excluded from the Competition.
5. Participants may withdraw their Contributions at any time until the end of the Competition. With the withdrawal of a Contribution the respective Participant shall be excluded from the Competition and the Participant’s right to win a prize is terminated.
6. A Participant may opt to submit more than one Contribution. Only one Contribution will be eligible for being awarded a prize. If, according to the evaluation process set out in sec. D, more than one prize had to be awarded to one Participant, only the highest prize will be awarded.
- Review and evaluation of all validly submitted Contributions will be carried out by a jury selected at the Initiator’s sole discretion (the “Jury”).
- The Jury’s decision shall be made at the Jury’s sole discretion and shall be final and binding.
- The selection process of the winners takes place in two stages. First, the jury determines a shortlist. The participants of the shortlist are invited to a live pitch by the Initiator and have to present their idea live. The exact dates and modalities for the live pitch will be announced to the participants of the shortlist at the given time.
- The Jury will award prizes in accordance with the evaluation process set out in sec. D in four categories, including:
- A trip to the Porsche Digital Lab in Berlin for a “Meet and Greet” with Porsche software developer and technology experts;
- Cash prize of 5.000,- EUR per category/team.
- An educational package focusing on software development and coding;
- A media package, including presentation on Porsche’s publication channels (Porsche Newsroom, Porsche Tech Blog) with text, picture and video as well as presence at the media partners of the Competition.
2. The winning Participants will be notified by the Initiator by e-mail using the e-mail address provided by the Participant during the registration process. If a winning Participant fails to contact the Initiator in order to provide the payment details and other information required to receive the prize within two (2) weeks after being notified by the Initiator, the Initiator will send a reminder e-mail to such Participant. If the Participant again fails to contact the Initiator within another two (2) weeks following the reminder e-mail, the Participant’s right to the prize shall be forfeited and the Initiator shall be entitled to award the prize to another Contribution in accordance with the evaluation criteria.
3. The winning Participants are fully responsible for any and all taxes, duties and fees in connection with the prizes as may apply.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND PUBLICATION
- The prize winners’ names and countries of residence as well as images and pictures of the prize winning Participants and Contributions may be announced to the public on the Competition website and other promotional channels, such as, the Initiator’s websites and www.porsche.com and any other Porsche websites and all its subdomains and social media accounts.
- By participating in the Competition, the Participant grants the Initiator and its affiliated companies the unconditional and irrevocable right, except where prohibited by law, to use its name, country of residence, images and pictures and the Contribution for promotional purposes.
- Porsche does not claim ownership of the Contribution, but the Participant must consider that the Contribution will be made publicly available and no confidentiality can be guaranteed and warranted. As some intellectual property rights must be applied for prior to publication, the Participant must consider seeking independent legal advice prior to submission of the Contribution. The Participant has no right to claim implementation of the materials contained in their Contribution.
COSTS AND EXPENSES
- Participants’ costs and expenses in connection with the participation in the Competition are to be borne by the Participants. The Initiator does not compensate the Participants for any costs and expenses incurred in connection with the participation in the Competition.
- No monetary compensation will be paid for any reason.
- Travel costs for students, independent developers and startups for the final event at Porsche will be reimbursed by Porsche on the basis of Porsche’s applicable policy on travel expenses; corporates and suppliers are excluded due to compliance reasons. Travel costs will only be reimbursed for a maximum of three contestants per team.
- In the course of the Competition the Initiator is collecting personal data of the Participants provided by the Participants, in particular as regards the registration process. The Initiator collects, processes and uses (together: “processing” or “to process”) such personal data for the purpose of carrying out the Competition, announcing the awarded Contributions (see sec. 6), or contact the Participant for providing information required for the proper execution of the Competition.
- Any Participant’s rights in accordance with applicable data protection law, in particular the Participant’s right of disclosure and or right to demand correction, blockage or deletion, shall remain unaffected. All inquiries relating to data protection shall be addressed to the Initiator.
- By submitting a Contribution, the Participant warrants that (i) the Contribution, in particular the Product, or any part thereof do not infringe any third party intellectual property rights, (ii) the Participant disposes of all permissions, rights and licenses required for the submission of the Contribution in accordance with these Terms, (iii) the Contribution does not contain any harmful, malicious or deceptive code, including but not limited to any bots, back doors, Trojan horses, viruses, worms and other harmful or malicious code, files, scripts, agents or programs intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information, (iv) the Contribution does not contain third party or publicly available code which is subject to license terms that require to license the Product or any derivative work thereof to third parties or make the Product or any derivative work thereof publicly available.
- To the fullest extent possible by applicable law, the Initiator specifically disclaims any liability, terms, conditions, representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the Competition or the prizes including any implied warranty of non-infringement, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and any other implied warranties that may arise in the course of performance of the Competition.
- The Initiator shall be liable in accordance with statutory provisions for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, gross negligence, willful default, or for any other type of loss or damage which cannot be excluded by applicable law.
- Except as set out in sec. K.1, in no event will the Initiator, its affiliates, partners, subsidiaries, officers, directors, agents, employees and third parties engaged in the execution of the Competition, be liable to a Participant for any direct, special, incidental, exemplary, punitive or consequential damages (including loss of use, data, business or profits) arising out of or in connection with the participation of the Participant in the Competition, whether such liability arises from any claim based upon contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise, and whether or not the Initiator has been advised of the possibility of such loss or damage.
- Except as set out in sec. K.1 and subject to sec. K.2, the Initiator’s cumulative aggregate liability arising out of or in connection with the Competition shall be limited to the value of the prizes pursuant to sec. E.1.
- The Initiator reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, suspend or cancel the Competition without liability in the event that for reasons beyond the Initiator’s control cannot be performed as initially planned, e.g. because of a violation of the Terms by Participants or technical problems (outages, system corruption, cyber-attacks, etc.).
COMPLIANCE WITH THE TERMS/EXCLUSION FROM COMPETITION
- Any Participant violating these Terms or interfering the Competition in way that adversely affects a fair and sportsmanlike competition may at the Initiator’s sole discretion be excluded from the Competition and thereby lose its eligibility to win a prize.
- These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany. The UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) shall not apply.
- Should one or more provisions of these Terms be or become invalid or unenforceable, this shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these Terms.