Development Update Blog — January 2021
Happy New Year! We wish everyone a prosperous year now that 2020 is finally done. Now that the first month is done, we want to introduce you to a new series of blogs. Each month we will provide an update to the community of latest developments in the game and the overall ecosystem.
Before we get started with the progress of this month, we want to do a brief recap of Nine Chronicles at the end of 2020.
Recap of 2020
As every blog you have read this month no doubt states, 2020 was a strange and unpredictable year. We hope that everyone can keep good health while also finding time to relax and even play games.
In the last quarter of 2020, we released our first game Nine Chronicles. If you are new to the game and wish to get a better grasp our vision, please check out the following blog:
Ecosystem Supporters Program
In November, we launched the Ecosystem Supporters Program that provides a way to earn NCG (Nine Chronicles Gold), in-game items for the game, and more. The activities we support include promoting awareness of Nine Chronicles to other gamers (e.g. streaming, tweeting), creating mods for the game, building useful tools, plus helping us to translate our resources into other languages.
Shortly after launching the ESP, we added a recruit-a-friend program. Participation in this program let’s you and your friends earn NCG by playing together. Joining is a simple process:
- Create a referral link: http://join.nine-chronicles.com/
- Share your link to the world
- Help your friends sign up and reach greater heights
- Earn 100 NCG each when the friend reaches level 20
- Earn additional 100 NCG each when the friend reaches level 50 & defeats World 1 Boss.
We held our first community livestream on Dec 18th Friday.
We covered the following topics:
- Nine Chronicles’ Unique Vision and Architecture: this is what makes Nine Chronicles different from pretty much any other online games out there, and why you should care.
- Content in development & Feature updates for veterans
- Player, mining, market activity and user growth plans for 2021
- 2021 Development Roadmap (Staking, trading API, content & features)
- You can see the recording of the steam via https://bit.ly/9c-stream1
New Elemental Dungeons
At the end of the year we rolled out a new elemental dungeon, Mimisbrunnr, which is veteran content for players at level 100 and over.
Recap of January 2021
The year has only just started but already we have made a number of updates to the game client and launcher. We managed to fix a number of challenging issues and also started work on new content.
Daily Active Users
We are very pleased to announce that the number of daily active users is growing. Once we release on Steam we hope to see these numbers increase further. However, before we release to Steam we wish to improve the stability of the game client first. We are incredibly grateful to all of our Early Access players who are helping us to find bugs and make suggestions to improve Nine Chronicles!
Seed Round Investment
We secured another $2m investment into the development company behind Nine Chronicles. The funding round was led by Naver, South Korea’s largest web search engine, as well as WE Ventures, and Honest Ventures.
EO Interview with JC Kim
JC Kim, Co-CEO of Planetarium, discusses our vision of Nine Chronicles and blockchain gaming, and the video has been hugely popular in Korea, having been viewed over 45 thousand times in a week. We added English subtitles for everyone — do check it out!
Nine Chronicles v100025
This month we released the client version v100025. This brought a number of new features and bug fixes.
- A menu has been added that allows you to quickly restart the launcher by right-clicking the launcher icon in the taskbar.
- Replace new background image in Mimisbrunnr Dungeon
- Minor UI usability improvements
- Fixed a bug where items that have just been purchased will reappear on store re-entry.
- Fixed a bug in which APs were repeatedly cut when hitting the Start Battle button repeatedly.
- Fixes a bug where the character button in the lower menu would display the exclamation mark badge considering the equipment being crafted in the workshop.
- Fixed problems such as winning or losing battles, rewards, and purchases.
- Fixes a bug where the results are not reflected in the client when selling items in the store.
Nine Chronicles v100026
Game client v100026 was released as a hotfix for the Unity player bug on the 18th January, the originally scheduled version was re-versioned v100027. Final testing is underway with a plan to release on 26th January.
Shortly afterwards the team released a weekly development update that outlined some of the new features coming to Nine Chronicles. These include a new Launcher, a new world, new tutorials, and cutscenes for the limited edition costumes.
Nine Chronicles v100027
Released on 26th January, the latest update includes the following bug fixes and features.
- Fixed a bug where the game launcher hadn’t started due to intermittently breaking a specific file(aws_sink_cloudwatch_guid).
- Fixed a bug where the game launcher and its subprocesses had exhausted too much memory on the system.
- The Mimisbrunnr Dungeon (Fire) difficulty level slightly decreased.
- Stats enhanced for equipment used in Mimisbrunnr Dungeon (Fire) and equipment crafted with NCG.
- Material and emblem drop rate for Weekly Arena reward adjusted.
- Data loading starts without having to click on the title screen.
- The game now automatically selects the most recently played character and moves directly to the main screen. For previous users, this change will be applied after you play the game once using your characters.
- The Select Resolution window is removed at the Unity player launch. Instead, the in-game resolution setting feature is added.
- Increased overall battle speed.
- In order to prevent users who enjoy the game for the first time from getting lost, the repeat and the main return buttons are hidden on the initial stage section.
- Improved movements of multiple monsters and characters’ animations.
- In particular, we’ve adjusted the attack motion of special costumes to be more vibrant.
- And if you lose to the World Boss, the World Boss has been modified to taunt you a little bit more.
Nine Chronicles v100028
This was a last moment hotfix performed on 28th January.
We uploaded a new snapshot to fix freezing in the preloading phase of the Launcher.
Nine Chronicles v100029
Another hot fix, this version was released on 29th January.
- Fixed a bug where invalid transactions had remained and caused network latency
- Fixed a bug where nodes hadn’t synchronized their blocks when connected with only a few nodes
- Fixed a bug where the node software hadn’t processed blocks that contains invalid block header properly
- Increased action timeout threshold in Unity Player (3 →6 min)
Docker Support for Nine Chronicles Miner
Last but not least, we’d like to give a shout out to SoFloppy. He is a new player to Nine Chronicles but has figured out a way to run the headless game launcher inside Docker. This basically means players can deploy multiple miners on their machine.
Get in touch!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or come say hello on our Discord channel!
Planetarium is a blockchain company pioneering the ecosystem for community-powered online games. Planetarium’s technology equips developers with powerful tools to create fully decentralized, cross-platform blockchain games that can live forever on networks powered by the players. The team is developing Nine Chronicles, an open source, decentralized role-playing game that launched in October 2020. To learn more, please visit planetariumhq.com.