Israel is [for] real
I’m not apologizing for my terrible headlines
The World Baseball Classic began at 4:30 a.m. EST and ended with an extra-inning victory for Israel. The Pool A opener in Seoul ended in a 2–1 score over Korea in 10 innings was decided by Scott Burcham’s RBI single with two outs, getting Ryan Lavarnway to score the go-ahead run.
Israel took a 1–0 lead in the second inning when Tyler Krieger walked with the bases loaded. In the bottom of the fifth, Korea’s Seonchang Seo’s RBI single scored Kyoung-min Hur from second to tie the game up.
Seung Hwan Oh, who pitched his first season with the St. Louis Cardinals in 2016, came in for Korea in the 8th to get a four-pitch strikeout. Oh stayed strong in the 9th allowed a leadoff single from center fielder Sam Fuld, but got Ty Kelly and Blake Gailen to go down swinging and Nate Freiman to groundout.
Josh Zeid, New York Mets, came in to start the bottom of the 8th, went three strong innings, struck out four, walked two and allowed one hit.
Dae-Ho Lee, cleanup hitter for Korea and plays first base for the Seattle Mariners, went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts.
Fuld (Oakland A’s) and Burcham (Colorado Rockies prospect) both came away with two hits in the ball game.
Israel (1–0) plays tonight at 10 p.m. against Taiwan. Korea’s (0–1) next game will be on March 7 at 4:30 a.m.
And now, for some scattered notes.
- Justin and I will be podcasting in a few minutes. Normally, we record on Sundays but s o m e b o d y had to be busy. Episode 7 of our podcast should be up between the hours of tonight and tomorrow morning.
- Over at RO Baseball, we’re starting our season previews series. I’ll be handling the write-ups for the Cardinals and Tigers, as well as following those two all season long. To get started, here’s one about the Astros.
- WBC: The United States doesn’t begin play until Friday at 6 p.m., versus Colombia.
- Could you imagine baseball in America where fans used thunder sticks to cheer on the home team? That’d be an easy way to appeal to young people. Just saying.
- Where did he find this and where can I buy seven of them?