DC’s Trans and Queer community members facing threats and violence; and now No Justice No Pride’s very own are under attack.
A week after pride and two weeks since No Justice No Pride Organizers — were arrested after taking direct action over the criminalization of sex workers — attacks upon our community members on all levels continue.
With the deaths of two Black Trans Women in the area in recent months, DC’s Trans and Queer community members facing threats and violence; and now NJNP’s very own are under attack. This past Sunday, a dear NJNP member, experiencing a mental health crisis; called 911 to seek help. As the street quickly filled with police cars, more than 8 Officers surrounded our sister escorting her down the street to the ambulance. As neighbors and onlookers watched the officers put our sister in cuffs and loaded her into an ambulance with more and more officers and police cars continuing to flood the street.
Tuesday, as a situation unrelated to the collective unfolded on our street, members of the NJNP Collective had threats shouted at them, deadnamed, eventually a neighbor called the police and things eventually died down. As the evening progressed NJNP Collective members were starting to relax for the night and visitors who were over for dinner had begun departing. Community supporters have been dropping meals off at the collective this week for community members. One collective member walked down the street to a local store and was threatened and was then chased up the street by three men eventually getting in to the car of the store owner who drove her home. Around an hour later, one of the men from the earlier incident at the store was outside of the NJNP collective throwing rocks at the house and appeared to have brandish a weapon.
Terrified for our safety and fear of escalation, collective members and remaining visitors ran to the basement, checked in and many ultimately felt no other choice but to call 911. This time only two officers responding and eventually a sergeant. When the police hear about a mental health crisis at the house, they send a goddamn platoon of cops because they see trans women in crisis as a threat to the neighborhood’s safety. BUT when it’s trans women asking for protection….. *crickets*
This is one of the many reasons why NJNP is based and operates on abolitionist principles and instead on relying on the police, we believe in community based solutions such as The Street Harassment Prevention Act and the NEAR Act — in which we call on Mayor Bowser to fully implement.
And all of this goes to say — As these forces push Trans and gender nonconforming people into underground economies, the District’s policy of criminalization makes this dangerous work, contributing to the devastatingly short life expediencies of Black Trans Women. D.C.’s sex work criminalization policies have failed to deter violence or improve public safety.
We call on City Leaders to take critical steps to secure safety for our communities NOW by passing the ‘Community Safety and Health Amendment Act of 2019’,
By removing criminal penalties, this legislation will reduce the vulnerability of sex workers to exploitation and violence, promote public health by improving access to services, and help address human trafficking.
The NJNP Collective and its members are on high alert. Our community worlds have been devastated and uprooted in these times and it’s all the reason we need to step it up, create and build stronger community solutions, support systems and relationships, check in and hold space for each other.
ARE YOU YOU UPSET?!? IF NOT THEN YOU SHOULD BE!
HERE ARE 8 WAYS WE CAN USE YOUR SUPPORT NOW:
- FIRST! JOIN US NEXT FRIDAY — JUNE28TH FOR #STONEWALL50 — RALLY + ACTION FOR DECRIMNOW! Join us for a Rally and Action on the 50th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in support of Sex Work Decriminalization! Action @ 4PM Rally @ 5PM | Freedom Plaza
- DONATE FOR SAFE RIDES! We are trying to only have collective members and extended family travel only by lyft or uber right now for their safety. We have connected everyone’s Lyft and Uber accounts to NJNP’s paypal. You can ensure we have safe rides for everyone by making a contribution here: nojusticenopride.com/paypal
- Become a Patreon of the NJNP Collective on Patreon.com,and also share with your networks! Share here: Facebook, Tweet.
- Become a monthly sustainer! Your ongoing support will go a long way to ensuring the NJNP Collectives operations continue monthly!
- Cant Make It on the 28th? TAKE ACTION! nojusticenopride.org/decrimnow
- Live in Ward 7, 3 or 2? Tell your CM to support Decrim: bit.ly/judiciary-decrim
- Are you part of an organization? Sign our coalition letter to support Decrim!
- Support NJNP by getting some new threadz