Proud to be part of the Humber Care Tech Challenge!
Written by Nicola Stark
We’re fresh back from the Challenge and what a fantastic couple of days.
Firstly, a shout out to the event organisers and co-coordinators, judges, subject matter experts, the sponsors, the fabulous venue of the Bridlington Spa and of course all the participants. What a team!
Well done to the winning team ‘HullCSS and City Techies’ who took home the fabulous 3D trophy and a shout out to University of Hull #fablab for turning the Humber Care Tech Challenge logo into a magnificent trophy. I loved the way the judges got Alexa to announce the winners and the live stream on Twitter.
It was a brilliant atmosphere with 12 teams competing, which involved immense focus, concentration and working at speed. It was also great to see all the ideas for the citizens of the Humber (and beyond) and the innovation in the room. I hope lots of these solutions are implemented in the coming months, great solutions for real life problems in our place.
Our team #innovateNEL
We worked in Union — North East Lincolnshire Council and our CCG
We managed to meet the challenge on innovative use of technology to make things easier for vulnerable people to get the help they need whilst also delivering efficiencies in health and social care.
Day one — 5th September
Our approach had to be a discovery one of course with the way we work in service design in North East Lincolnshire.
· We started out with a Crazy8 (8 minutes to come up with 8 ideas)
· Insights started to emerge around the importance, who’s impacted and their needs
· Our work was focused on Domiciliary Care, Adult Services from projects we have worked on with FutureGov
· We created a persona as couldn’t do any user research
· Our techy members of the team attended Amazon’s presentation about Amazon Web Services and they came back and let us know what they learnt
· Lots of services; Polly, Dynamo DB, AWS Lambda, Lex and SSME
· We came up with our day one proof of concept
· Presented to the Judges
· Voted for our ‘people’s choice’
· Visited each participant and listened to their pitch and placed our vote
· Then hit the pubs of Brid!
Day two — 6th September
Bringing our ideas to life and reality (very intense and lots of concentration!)
· Presentation to the judges
o ConnectedCarers (CC), our overall solution — Big Data. Interactive, feedback, informative, single customer record, communication — sharing of information between ALL health systems and service users
o Focus : module — for Carers and service users in receipt of domiciliary care with personalisation option of voices (the Carer, family member, friend, etc)
· Meet accessibility for users; language, disabilities
o Included a business case
o How we would train the service users to use Echo Dot
· Voted for ‘people’s choice’
· Proudly watched the challenge winner announcement and collected our certificate of participation
This was the first Humber Care Tech Challenge and I’m sure there will be future events (fingers crossed) and this was our first experience of a hack event. It was a great collaboration experience along with some positive exposure for our team.