Princesses Never Die: 10 Leia Tributes
By Summer Lopez
Carrie Fisher just redlined the “never die” clause of her princess contract. Princesses don’t go out like that, says Disney — who knows about this sort of thing.
Leia’s legend has reached across a millennium of genre filmmaking. Without Leia would there be a Ripley? A Sarah Connor? Sci-fi feminism is the castle, or dungeon, that Leia built.
It is also Fisher’s own legacy that both compounds our grief and compels us to celebrate the woman through and beyond Leia’s lens. Here are some worthy tributes:
10. Princess Leia grew-up… into a GENERAL.
9. First-time fan girls will meet and remember Leia only as Leia Organa.
8. Fisher flipped the bird more times than any star in the history of stars.
7. Instant replay of The Finger.
6. Fisher took her idol-power to the next level, which she didn’t have to.
5. Fisher was a recovering addict who lived with bipolar disorder and never stopped talking about it. Now Twitter won’t either.
4. She’ll go down as the nun in best cameo in a Kevin Smith flick, ever.
3. She had no problem calling it like it is — roasting Gods of Hollywood.
2. Asking if she identified as feminist was unnecessary — Fisher just was.
- She never stopped writing her own story and reading it aloud.
Summer Lopez is a writer living in California. Politics, entertainment, and memoir are equal parts her subject matter. She also publishes We Are 40, a zine for Generation X, and Lost in a Book, a kid lit review.