npm weekly #223: We’ve got that new new, community news, and events galore
Cool new stuff in firstname.lastname@example.org
npm developer Ruy Adorno writes about his experience cutting his first npm release and two new features available in the CLI. Read all about it!
Open RFC Calls — Share your ideas!
Would you like to get your voice heard by our community and CLI team? Add your thoughts to our biweekly Open RFC Call agenda, and then join in the conversation! Our next Open RFC call will be on Wednesday, 11/27 at 11am PT/2pm ET. A new meeting thread providing details and an initial agenda will be created here soon.
Previous meeting recordings and notes can be found here.
Don’t miss these events!
- Maker.dev meetup: Tuesday, November 19th in Toronto. npm’s CTO, Ahmad Nassri, will be there — make sure to say hello!
- Open Source Montreal meetup: December 9. Join npm engineers, Ruy Adorno and Darcy Clarke and pick up some npm swag! Darcy will be giving a talk on our recent npm community efforts.
- js-Montreal: Join several of our wombats here on December 10.
- Node.js Foundation collaboration summit: December 13–14. Ruy and Darcy will be there, swag in tow!
We’ve got that new new
Now that the npm.community functions have moved over to GitHub (as referenced in engineering manager Darcy Clarke’s recent blog post), we’ve launched a landing page that points to the new resources. Check it out!
Also, in case you missed it, you can check out our new npm project statusboard to keep track of the health of our various projects.
Recommended project: Ship.js
Meet Ship.js, a solution that helps to organize your package releases to the npm Registry. It automates, but not fully, so that you can grab a chance to validate your release.
Ship.js gives you more control than semantic-release over the release process, as it automatically creates a PR before publishing every release, so that you can:
- Confirm the next version is correct.
- Confirm which commits are going to be released and discuss them with colleagues.
- Edit the automatically generated changelog for clarity & readability.
- Run any automated tests on the package release candidate.
- Build a release candidate automatically (with Pika CI).
Get install details and more info about Ship.js here!
Are you using npm to build something cool? Let us know and we’ll help get the word out!
Need private packages and team management tools?
The same tools that empower developers to work together on Open Source projects can make teams more efficient when collaborating on mission-critical applications. Meet npm Orgs:
- Publish and download private packages
- Manage permissions with teams
- Workflow integration and token management