The Top 5 Free Basecamp Alternatives To Use in 2018
Basecamp is one of the project management tools that provides its customers with a concise but focused set of features. With its growing number of subscribers, Basecamp seems to be gaining credibility and popularity with consumers.
Its project management features seem to be just right for the average team size, however, many organizations need to depend on more than just basic task management.
Where other tools are offering free or multiple payment plans, Basecamp offers a flat rate of $99/month, regardless of the team size and projects number. At this price, you get 500GB of file storage, messages and real-time chat, to-do lists, schedules, documents and automatic check-ins.
All this for an unlimited number of users and projects. This means, whether you are a small team of 5–10 users or a large organization with a few hundred employees, you get to have the app at a standard price.
Well, project management spans a host of industries that require multiple requirements including those specifically related to marketing, design, legal, HR and many more.
Plus, most project managers need to outsource work thereby working with remotely based employees or freelancers. Vice versa, there are freelancers that need to work with multiple clients without building huge teams. In such cases, Basecamp is not really a feasible option.
Here are some of the limitations we can point out with this tool.
Most projects involve repeated tasks and deliverables on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Basecamp does not offer the option to set the tasks as recurring.
The details associated with each project is limited. Most of the information is scattered, which means it does not display information in one place including the project start date, the number of people assigned or even deadlines.
Despite being termed as a task management and project management tool, there are not enough features to handle task or project reporting.
Budgeting and Analytics
Basecamp does not offer functionalities related to task or project budgeting. This is an important feature to determine how much a project actually costs and can help immensely in future project planning.
Moreover, analytics is the future of any industry. With lack of analytics, Basecamp does not offer options to analyze project results or future implications.
Built-In Time Tracking
Time tracking is a critical feature to be used in any project development lifecycle. Being offered by almost every other project management software, the lack of time tracking in Basecamp has to be one of its greatest turn-offs. There are options, however, to avail time tracking, you need to use third-party integrations.
Customization is one of the attractive features to be offered by any project management tools, whether it’s in templates, forms, color schemes or personal space. With Basecamp, it’s a take it or leave it case. There is no customization option.
Messaging and Chat
No project is complete without team collaboration. Instead of providing an in-built discussion channel, Basecamp requires you to sign up for Campfire to avail its chat service. It does not come with an instant messaging feature.
While Basecamp is geared towards conversation, I’d like to see tools for converting conversations into actionable items (i.e. assigning tickets with priority).
Search and Filter
Another limitation of Basecamp’s project management is the missing search and filter options. You cannot search for files or to-do lists.
For a head-to-head comparison of Basecamp vs. nTask, click here.
Free Basecamp Alternatives
To make up for the items missing in action, we have compiled a list of top free basecamp alternatives that can give the same or even better functionalities and usability. Here it goes.
nTask is an online task management software, designed and developed primarily for teams. However, with its simplified interface, anyone from homemakers to freelancers, teams to enterprises can make use of its comprehensive list of modules and features. This makes it perfect for project management on all levels.
Moreover, with the easy navigation and transparent feature set, it is good to go for personal use and productivity as well. nTask makes to the top of our list of top free Basecamp alternatives.
With nTask you can avail a broad spectrum of features that improves team collaboration and eases workflow.
Here is an extensive list of nTask features:
- Two-Factor Authentication for extensive security
- A simple user interface with access to a wide range of modules.
- Team specific workspaces that can be managed and monitored simultaneously.
- Create, assign, organize, prioritize and share tasks
- Create and assign projects
- Comment on and assign tasks to projects or structure them independently
- Select from multiple statuses for a task
- Extensive project management resources including project reports, Gantt charts, and project timelines to manage and monitor project progress
- A dedicated timesheets management module with the option of creating and managing team specific sections for employee task efforts and payroll.
- A detailed meeting management module to help teams stay in sync. You can arrange and schedule meetings, be it one time or recurring meetings. Plus, it lets you send invites to attendees, add meeting details and specify follow up procedures.
- Issue tracking module to facilitate identification and listing down of issues related to multiple tasks. You can list the issue along with the Issue owner and relevant details to track issue maintenance.
- Risk management module helps you identify and keep track of potential risks. You can list down the risk and assign a risk owner in order to track risk management.
- Powerful search and filter tools that help you search for tasks, projects, meetings, issues, and risks. You can even save more frequently used filters.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep teams on track.
- iOS and Android mobile apps
- nTask offers a free and Pro pricing plans.
- Paid Plan: nTask charges $2.99 per month per user with an annual billing plan.
Here are some features you can get with free subscription:
- 5 free workspaces
- Up to 10 team members per workspace
- 5 MBs file attachment size
- 200 MBs of storage space
- Unlimited tasks & meetings
- Team timesheets
- Create up to 5 projects
nTask Features Missing in Basecamp:
Time tracking, Reporting, Budgeting, Analytics, an extensive set of options for Task Management and Project Management (Recurring Tasks, Scheduling, Color Coding), Customization, Search and Filter.
The second tool on our list of top free Basecamp alternatives is Allthings. It comprises Kanban boards where you can continue your workflow using the drag and drop method. This makes it easier for the team to view tasks and work status.
Allthings makes it easy to break down your work into tasks and projects and offers a simple to use interface. Plus, you can view work in the form of a grouped list or as columns.
Another great feature is that users can create custom fields available in lists for your subscription.
Here are some key features you can avail with Allthings:
- Task management including prioritization, recurring tasks, and deadlines
- To-do lists
- Project management options
- Comments and attachments
- Time tracking
- Capacity planning
- Create shareable lists
- iOS and Android mobile apps
- Allthings offers a Free, Pro and Team plans as well as a 30-day free trial.
- Paid Plan: Allthings paid plans start from $3.99 per month per user.
The features you get with the Free version include:
- Create up to 5 lists
- Create unlimited things
- Invite unlimited collaborators
Allthings Features Missing in Basecamp:
Time tracking, Reporting, Recurring Tasks, Scheduling, Customization, Search, Instant Messaging.
Avaza is one of the top free Basecamp alternatives helping you manage your projects from the initial quotation to project development to invoice management. With Avaza, you can keep in sync with clients and keep them updated through the Questions tab.
Plus, Avaza lets you convey and monitor detailed estimates to potential clients that can later be converted into a project swiftly. You can break down your work into manageable sections such as workflows or timeframes in a to-do list, each with a start and end date.
Primarily a project management tool, Avaza also comes with an inbuilt client management module that caters to functionalities such as a Time & Expenses tab, invoicing tools as well as direct payment through PayPal or Stripe.
Here are a set of functionalities you can get with Avaza:
- Activity feed
- Task management including group tasks
- Task views including Kanban, Gantt & List
- Time tracking
- Comments, file sharing, and collaboration
- Project management including project budgeting and project progress dashboards
- Scrum project burndown charts
- Timesheet entry and billing
- Invoices and online billing
- Business reporting
- Support for split payments across invoices
- iOS and Android mobile apps
- Avaza offers Free, Startup, Basic and Business plans.
- Paid Plan: You can upgrade Avaza starting with $9.95 per month.
Avaza comprises the following features in the basic subscription:
- 10 Customers
- 1 Timesheet/Expense User
- 1 Admin/Invoice User
- 5 Active Projects
- 5 Invoices per Month
- 10MB Storage
- Email Support
Avaza Features Missing in Basecamp:
Time tracking, Grouping tasks, Scheduling, Customization, Search.
Sendtask is a task management solution as well as a great collaboration tool for teams. This is one of the top free Basecamp alternatives offering communication between teams, with clients and suppliers under one roof.
This means you don’t need different media to communicate and convey project updates for different levels on the hierarchy.
This tool facilitates in task management through numerous options to help in managing tasks, monitoring workflow and as well as scheduling projects and tasks all the while keeping clients and stakeholders in sync.
Plus, it offers you the option of collaborating with users even without a Sendtask account.
Some of the prominent features Sendtask offers you include:
- Task and subtask management including recurring tasks
- Task Monitoring and Scheduling
- Search and filter
- Project Collaboration
- Team collaboration
- Email to Task Conversion
- Email Management
- Integration with additional tools
- iOS mobile app
Currently in Beta and free indefinitely.
Sendtask Features Missing in Basecamp:
Customization, Recurring Tasks, Time tracking, Search and Filter.
The last on our list for free Basecamp alternatives is Quire. If you work with a creative team and want a task management for streamlining workflows, Quire is for you.
Despite being designed with a focus on creative teams, Quire is easily adaptable in other areas of work too. Quire is a free tool to help easily manage complex and time-consuming projects.
Some of the key features this tool can offer you include:
- Real-time and instant Collaboration
- Unlimited tasks and subtasks
- Organize, prioritize and assign tasks
- Task statuses
- Start and due date/time
- Easy to use and transparent all-in-one workspace
- Exclusive third-party access
- Integrations with Siri and the camera for iPhone
- Team roles and permissions
- Smart folder + Filter feature
- iOS and Android mobile apps
Quire is entirely free-to-use and offers no enterprise pricing plans for now.
Quire Features Missing in Basecamp:
Instant messaging, recurring tasks, Customization, Search and Filter, start and due date.