Nuvola 4.16 Brings Libre.FM Scrobbling, Ivoox Service, and more
Nuvola 4.16 was released. It reintroduces Libre.fm scrobbling, adds new service Ivoox, comes with updated Adwaita GTK theme and brings other bug fixes and improvements.
To install Nuvola, follow installation instructions at the Nuvola Apps Repository. To update Nuvola, run
flatpak update --system && flatpak update --user in terminal (as a regular user, not root/sudo) or use a package manager which supports Flatpak (e.g., a recent GNOME Software application with the Flatpak plugin).
What’s New for Users
Repository PGP key needs to be updated on your system
This warning is copied from the previous announcement. If you have already fixed the issue, you can skip to the next section.
Chances are that you see this error when running
flatpak update from a command line: error: GPG signatures found, but none are in trusted keyring. The error is a bit cryptic and doesn’t tell the real issue. Anyway, the GPG key used to sign Nuvola Flatpaks Repository needs to be updated on your machine. I apologize for the inconvenience. It should not happen again.
The update of a PGP key consists of a few easy steps. If you have any troubles, add a comment to the issue in our bug tracker and I’ll help you.
- Open a terminal emulator and run the command
flatpak remote-listto discover the name of Nuvola Flatpak Repository “remote”. It should be “nuvola” as in the example below but it may differ.
- Then you can update the PGP key. Replace “nuvola” with the real remote name from the previous step and run these two commands:
flatpak remote-modify \
--gpg-verify --gpg-import=tiliado-flatpaks.gpg "nuvola"
- Now you can update Nuvola Flatpaks with
Libre.fm Scrobbling Reintroduced
Scrobbling is submitting information about recently played tracks to a public server. It is typically used to share your music taste or to get recommendations to tracks you might like. The most popular scrobbling service is Last.fm, which is supported by Nuvola for a long time. There is also a free/open-source alternative Libre.fm, which was supported by Nuvola 2 until it broke and was not included in Nuvola 3 for that reason. If you are a Libre.fm fan, you may be happy that Libre.fm support was fixed and reintroduced [GitHub ticket].
New Adwaita Theme
The GNOME Runtime used by Nuvola updated GTK+ to version 3.24.5, which comes with new Adwaita theme:
With Podcast & Radio iVoox you can listen, share and download podcasts, radio shows and much more for free, when you want, where you want. Courses, conferences, classes, lectures, audio books, children’s stories, audio guides, stand up comedy, stories, music and concerts, poems, biographies and even meditation sessions.
- The play/pause action in Deezer Podcasts was fixed. [GitHub ticket]
Pocket Casts 1.3
- Adjust to the switch of the stable web player interface: The beta version of the new player interface, previously used only for playbeta.pocketcasts.com, has become the new stable interface for play.pocketcasts.com. [GitHub ticket]
Amazon Cloud Player 5.9
- Widevine is used instead of the Flash plugin. This also fixes the warning “Chrome version soon not supported anymore”. [GitHub ticket 1, ticket 2]
Jupiter Broadcasting 1.4
- Add chooselinux.show site support.
- Fix volume controls for non-YouTube media.
Changes in Pricing
- Nuvola Basic plan is no longer offered. All current Nuvola Basic users can use all Nuvola Premium features without purchasing a new Nuvola Premium license but they need to update Nuvola because older versions are not aware of this change.
- Nuvola Premium subscriptions (recurring payments) are no longer offered as Nuvola adopted Pay-What-You-Wish pricing. You can purchase a one-year non-recurring license from $1 or a lifetime license from $49. Users from wealthy countries can support Nuvola by paying the suggested price $10 (the average purchase in the USA is $6.7 so far) whereas the minimal payment $1 makes Nuvola affordable for others.
- Crash when opening Preferences was fixed[GitHub ticket].
- Chromium updated to 71.0.3578.80 and then to 73.0.3683.27.
- The quest to improve the quality of Nuvola & Diorite codebase continues.
What’s New for Script Maintainers
There are no changes that should concern script maintainers.
What’s New for Packagers
- New script: Ivoox (source code).
- Updated scripts: Deezer 3.2 (Source code), Pocket Casts 1.3 (Source code), Amazon Cloud Player 5.9 (Source code), Jupiter Broadcasting 1.4 (Source code).
- Nuvola, Diorite: Vala 0.44.x is recommended as it fixes some memory leaks.
- Diorite: Valadoc is now run with
--fatal-warnings. This requires Vala 0.44.x but can be disabled with
./waf configure --no-strict.
- Diorite: Fixed bug — Don’t pass null to VariantUtils.to_strv [GitHub ticket]
- Diorite: Refactoring continues, test cases and documentation are improved. Asynchronous tests were fixed. Various C warnings were fixed and marked as fatal to be caught in the future. Several classes/methods were dropped or renamed, see changelog for details.
Nuvola Contributes to Good Angel Foundation
Jiri Janousek, the core developer of Nuvola Apps project, is glad to contribute a part of the project’s revenue to the Good Angel foundation. This way, he can regularly help families with children, which face financial distress as a result of severe illness. Even small monetary donations can help these families overcome a tough period.
Thank You for Your Support
At the time of writing, the awesome people listed below and a few others are Nuvola Patrons, who support the development of Nuvola Apps Runtime. Thank you all!
Christian Dannie Storgaard, José Antonio Rey, Ryan Wagner, Simon Law, Bart Libert, Chris Beeley, Andrew Azores, Bryan Wyatt, Balázs, Denton Davenport, Ben MacLeod, David Wiczer, Andrew Allen, Nathan Warkentin, Chuck Talk.
If you are a Nuvola Patron, but your name is not listed, you have to enable the “Show my name and a link to my external profile page in a list of Patrons.” option in your profile settings. Obviously, it is not enabled by default to protect the privacy of our patrons.