Nuvola 4.8 Adds Pocket Casts, Fixes Groove Music, Temporarily Drops Spotify and Calls For New Yandex Music Maintainer
Nuvola 4.8 was released. It introduces Pocket Casts, makes Groove Music work again, updates Amazon Cloud Player and Google Play Music scripts, and brings necessary improvements under the hood. On the other hand, Spotify is temporarily unsupported — because Spotify dropped support for WebKit browsers — and Yandex Music needs a new maintainer.
To install Nuvola, follow installation instructions at the Nuvola Apps Repository Index. To update Nuvola, run
flatpak update --system && flatpak update --user in terminal (as a regular user, not root/sudo) or use a package manager which supports Flatpak (e.g. a recent GNOME Software application).
This blog post is targeted to users. If you are a developer or a packager, make sure you are subscribed to Nuvola-devel mailing list to receive a more technical release announcement.
New script: Pocket Casts
Nuvola 4.8 comes with a new script — Pocket Casts by Jiří Janoušek.
Pocket Casts is the only podcatcher you’ll ever need. Listen to your favorite shows in one place, keep in sync progress across various devices, find great new content with curated featured podcasts, currently trending podcasts and much more. Now also with desktop integration provided by Nuvola.
Groove Music Works Again With 2.0 Release
Microsoft Groove Music dropped Flash-plugin-based playback a few months ago, so this streaming service stopped working in Nuvola. Nuvola 4.6 added a preliminary support for Media Source Extension (MSE) and Joel Cumberland worked hard to port the script to MSE and to fix all remaining issues since then. This effort resulted in the 2.0 release of the Groove Music script.
- Amazon Cloud Player script 5.5 maintained by Andrew Stubbs integrates a track progress bar and volume controls.
- Google Play Music script 6.0 by Jiří Janoušek uses new asynchronous API to improve responsiveness and reduce lags, but also drops support for Nuvola 4.7 and older.
Spotify Temporarily Unsupported
Unfortunately, Spotify’s Web Player no longer works on Safari and Nuvola uses a variant of Safari’s web rendering engine (WebKitGTK). There is ongoing effort to port Nuvola to Chromium backend (Issue #372) but it is going to take a few months to complete. You can subscribe to Issue #374 to be notified when Spotify works again.
Call For New Yandex Music Maintainer
It would be a pity to lose this script. However, I don’t speak Russian nor live in Russia (nor in other supported countries), so its maintenance has always been cumbersome and I simply give up. It deserves a more appropriate maintainer.
Complete Nuvola 4.8 Changelog
Nuvola 4.8 was released on September 29th, 2017.
- New script: Pocket Casts by Jiří Janoušek. Pocket Casts is the only podcatcher you’ll ever need. Listen to your favorite shows in one place, keep in sync progress across various devices, find great new content with curated featured podcasts, currently trending podcasts and much more. Now also with desktop integration provided by Nuvola.
- Updated script: Groove Music script 2.0 by Joel Cumberland works again in Nuvola after being ported to use Media Source Extension instead of Flash plugin.
- Updated script: Amazon Cloud Player script 5.5 by Andrew Stubbs integrates a track progress bar and volume controls.
- Updated script: Google Play Music script 6.0 by Jiří Janoušek uses new asynchronous API to improve responsiveness and reduce lags, but also drops support for Nuvola 4.7 and older.
- Spotify script is temporarily unsupported until Nuvola is ported to Chromium Embedded framework because Spotify dropped support for WebKit browsers (including Nuvola and Safari).
- Yandex Music script is currently orphaned and needs a new maintainer. The script is still shipped with Nuvola 4.8 but may be removed in the future unless somebody adopts it. If anyone is interested, please get in touch with me at Nuvola Devel mailing list.
News for Script Maintainers
- List of async methods: Notifications.isPersistenceSupportedAsync, Actions.isEnabledAsync, Actions.getStateAsync, Core.getComponentInfoAsync, Core.isComponentLoadedAsync, Core.isComponentActiveAsync, KeyValueStorage.setDefaultAsync, KeyValueStorage.hasKeyAsync, KeyValueStorage.getAsync and KeyValueStorage.setAsync.
Under the Hood
- Various IPC classes were refactored and united into new API (Rpc prefix) and it is possible to respond to IPC messages asynchronously.
- KeyValueStorage got async equivalents of non-void methods.
Thank You for Your Support
At the time of writing, the awesome people listed bellow and a few others are Nuvola Patrons, who support the development of Nuvola Player. Thank you all!
Andrew Allen, Simon Law, Bart Libert, Bryan Wyatt, Christian Dannie Storgaard, José Antonio Rey, Ryan Wagner, Chris Beeley, David, Andrew Azores, Andrew Kvalheim, Balázs, Ben MacLeod, Martin Wimpress, Duco van Amstel, David Wiczer, Gabriele, Nathan Warkentin.
If you are a Nuvola Patron but your name is not listed, you have to enable the “Show my name and a link to my external profile page in a list of Patrons.” option in your profile settings. Obviously, it is not enabled by default to protect privacy of our patrons.