Encounters with Jesus: Boat
Jesus and the Disciples
Jesus transformed ordinary moments into extraordinary encounters wherever he went. As we explore some of those stories together, we’re invited to come and encounter him afresh ourselves. Each week, we’re producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks from our ‘Encounters with Jesus’ series — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it on a PC.
- Mark 4:35–41
- Matthew 8:23–27
Storm Seen: Verse 24 describes how the storm appears suddenly. The disciples see this storm and fear sinking under it. Storms of fear can spring up without warning, occupying the mainstay of our vision and leaving us with a sinking feeling. Though there are sometimes clear identifiable triggers, at other times we can be left wondering ‘where did that come from.’
Jesus Seen: In their state of fear, the disciples see Jesus — a picture of peace — and cry out in desperation (it hardly reads like a strong prayer of courage). Though they felt the weight of fear, faith cried out to Jesus in that place, knowing He alone could save. Just a glimpse of Him brings hope in the storm. With a simple word Jesus calms the storm and the disciples’ terrified sense of threat is replaced by awestruck fear of God alone as they begin to realise who is the boat with them. ‘If God is for us who can be against us’ (Rom 8:31)
Disciples seen: Jesus saw the disciples in their distress and broke in to dispel the storm that caused such fear. He didn’t see their little faith and reject them. No, He saw it and met it, rescuing them. As a result their small faith becomes bigger as they realised exactly who is with them.
- What aspect of Sunday’s talk most spoke to you?
- What effects can fear have on our lives?
- What experiences have you had of storms of fear? Are you in one now? What triggers your fear?
- What does faith look like in the midst of a furious storm?
- How can we help point each other to a present Saviour when stormy clouds obscure our vision?
- Where is God when we are in the midst of a storm? How can we know?
- How does Jesus respond to small faith, harassed by fear? What does this tell you about Him?
- How does Jesus cast out fear?
- What does it mean to fear God? How does this produce peace?
About the world
- In what ways do we see an epidemic of fear around us presently?
- How is fear prevalent in you work locations / neighbourhoods / households / communities?
- How can we Jesus dispel storms of fear through us in these places?