In the Beginning, God
Recordings, notes and application questions
Each week, we produce notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to visit Soundcloud and download it on a PC. You can also find the accompanying Powerpoint presentation here.
- Genesis 1:1–4
- John 1:1–5
- 1 John 4:8
- Matthew 3:16–17
- Deuteronomy 32:11
Human beings have always told origin stories. We have an innate need to know what life is about: where we come from, what the meaning / purpose behind it all is. What is home? How you understand your origins will shape how you see everything.
In our culture, we are often told our origins are found in chaos, chance, or power. The Bible reveals that before all things there was God and that God has eternally existed as a loving union of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. One God, in three persons. “In the beginning, God” (Gen 1:1), “God is love” (1 John 4:8), so in the beginning, Love. Our Origins are found in Love — The eternal love of God.
Being love, God is inherently self-giving, life-giving, other person centred, generous, joyful, delighting to know and be known, drawing the other in, spreading His goodness outward. And since, in love, God is three in one, wherever we see unity within distinction, we see beauty that catches us up into awe and wonder. For there we have a whisper of our origins (tastes, colours, music, dance etc).
Where we try to make home outside of the God of love, we see the opposite distinctive. Instead of Life, death; Instead of generosity, selfishness; Instead of Beauty, corruption; Instead of diversity, conformity; Instead of Delighting to be known, hiding away; Instead of drawing the other in, pushing them out; Instead of spreading goodness, hoarding whatever we can.
To truly be at home and enjoy cultivating home is to find our beginning in God through Jesus and to image God in how we love others and care for the world. This is incredibly distinctive!
1) What particularly spoke to you from Sunday?
2) In your experience, what naturally comes to mind when you think of ‘God’ yourself / speak of God to others?
3) How does starting with Jesus, help us to understand God rightly?
4) Since ‘God is love’ how does that shape our understanding of what life is all about?
5) How is the love of God shaping you and the way you live? How might you enjoy living more in the glorious love of God for you, revealed in Jesus?
6) What do you find beautiful / awe-inspiring in the world? How does that reflect who God is?
7) A community shaped by the God of love should look like God. How can we build a home like that in Oasis? What might need to change? What prejudices do we need to drop? How can that kind of love become more visible and practically experienced both within and outside of the community? How can this be good news to the world in the current climate?