Jesus is Lord
Creation and New Creation
In the twists and turns of the adventures that God is calling us to, He’s constantly reminding us that the greatest adventure is in knowing Him. Each week, we’re producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks from our ‘Jesus Changes Everything’ series — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it on a PC.
Key Passage: Colossians 1:15–20
Jesus is Lord over everything. He is God made known to us. The image of the invisible God. The one in whom all the fullness of God is pleased to dwell. He is Lord over:
- Creation (v15)
- Visible and invisible rulers and authorities (v16)
- Time and space (v17)
- The Church (v18)
- New creation and resurrection (v18)
- Salvation (v20)
Knowing and enjoying this changes everything. It is the height of peace and joy and confidence. For what better Lord could we ever hope for than Jesus!? Jesus invites us to live under His Lordship and not only to trust but to exalt in Him as Lord.
The Father has declared Jesus to be Lord (Phil 2:9–11). The Spirit reveals Jesus as Lord (2 Cor 4:6). This is the glory of the God of love (1 John 4:8–12).
- What struck you most about Sunday’s talk?
- Why is it such good news that Jesus is Lord over all the areas listed in this passage?
- What does creation / the Cross / the resurrection / the church reveal to us about the kind of Lord Jesus is?
- How do we proclaim Jesus as Lord in our everyday lives? How does it affect the way we treat the environment / political systems / our work / our ambitions / ourselves / each other?
- How can we more consciously live in the knowledge that Jesus is Lord? What practical steps can we take? How can this free us from fear? How liberating might this be?
About the World
- What initiatives / expressions do you know of that reveal Jesus as Lord? (may be explicitly Christian or not e.g. how businesses are conducted, how people are cared for)
- How can the Lordship of Jesus influence your home life / work life / community life / hobbies?
- How can we explicitly and winsomely proclaim Jesus is Lord to people? Who could you invite to alpha in coming months?