Live and Let Die
The next part in our series in Colossians: ‘Jesus Changes Everything.’
Each week, we producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it on a PC.
- Colossians 3:1–10
As part of Adrian’s talk he sketched out some of the promises in the Bible for us to ‘set our hearts upon’ as we embrace the life we have been given in Christ. Here’s a slide from the talk that illustrates a few of them:
- What aspect of Sunday’s talk particularly spoke to you?
- God intends for us to live ‘the good life’ through faith in Jesus — raised with Him. What does this tell us about God? What is He like? What is His intention for us?
- How is Christ our life? (Verse 4). What does this mean? How are we raised with Him? Why is it great news? How can we enjoy seeing Christ in the scripture, knowing He is been given to us and our life is in Him?
- How can we learn to ‘set our minds on the things above’ (Verse 2) so that our hearts are more won to Christ?
- Look at the promises on the slide above… Which ones most grab you? How would we be changed if we really laid hold of these as true for each of us daily? How can we do just that?
- What things need to be ‘put to death’ in you in order to keep enjoying life in Christ?
- How can we help each other in this (bearing in mind Colossians was written to a group of people and read to the whole group, not simply individuals)
About the World
- How does increasingly enjoying Jesus and the freedom we have in Him make us better witnesses to the world?
- What do you love most about belonging to Jesus?
- How can you communicate that to the world around you?
- How will increasingly embracing life in Christ and putting off ‘whatever belongs to the earthly nature’ (Verse 5, Verse 8) enable you to better perform your job / household tasks / studies / recovery program / social life etc? How will this do good to others?